Pages

Monday, May 28, 2007

Smell that?

It has been rumored that when a baby smiles, they really just have gas. I'm not sure I agree with this theory. So far, Ellie has only really smiled as she's falling asleep. I've watched her many times and I know that if she goes asleep upset, she does not smile. She does her "I'm going to cry" look instead. However, if she falls asleep happy, often times with a milk mustache, she'll smile. How can that be gas? I think not.

I love to watch her smile, but much to my disappointment, she has only done so in her sleep. She has yet to smile as a response to us, though that's supposed to happen around 6 weeks (which is now, dangit!). The way I see it, if she can do it in her sleep, she ought to be able to do it when she's awake!

But even so, I love to see it. I love her smile and can't wait to see the real thing, when her eyes are open. On a related note, I also can't wait to hear her laugh and talk (both of which, on rare occasions, she has done in her sleep).

1 comment:

Niffer said...

As an update... We got really close to a real smile last night. I was complaining about how bad the bag of used diapers smelled and Ellie thought it was funny. And there was a smile. Then she passed out. Technically, for the first time, her eyes were open, but I think it still falls under the category of "falling asleep happy" type of smile.