Pages

Friday, June 05, 2009

A bizarre version of ABCs - I could be rich!

This post is actually quite old but it got lost and wasn't ever published...

One of the first children's books I ever got was But not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton (Cracker's mom gives out the best books!). Because I loved it so much, I went out and bought more.

I got her A to Z book because I figured it would be great when Ellie started with her letters.

Taken from my copy of the book:
Aardvark admiring
Beavers ballooning
Cats cleaning

Dinosaur dancing
Elephant eating
Frogs frowning
Gophers grinning
Hippos hiding
Iguanas itching
Jackal jumping
Kangaroo kissing
Lion leaving
Moose mowing
Nightingales nesting
Owl opening
Oops
Blue coat
Turkey tripping
Uglybirds being ugly
Vicuna violining
Weasel whistling
Xylo xylophoning
Yaks yawning
Zebra zigzagging

For the longest time I thought that this author sick sense of humor. Who does that? Who removes letters from the alphabet and replace them with "oops"? This does nothing for young impressionable children trying to learn their ABCs!

Then for Christmas, I got Blue Hat, Green Hat and suddenly it all made sense to me.

It was a misprint! Isn't that weird? You know how coins have have been mis-stamped are worth a lot of money? Is it the same with books? I could be rich! How do I find out?


PS. My apologies to the author for thinking badly of her version of the ABCs.

No comments: