Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grow old along with me

I have a couple beautiful friends who are getting married soon, each has a beautiful shiny new ring that I love. I look at the one on my finger and find that I am still in love with it. Michael done good. Michael done REAL good. We have been married now for 5 years, 8 months, 1 week and 2 days and only recently have I noticed the age that my rings are showing.

The beautiful engravings on the sides of both of my rings (where they lay against each other) are nearly worn off. I have mixed feelings on what I think of that. Does it make me want to take my ring(s) off, store it in a safe place so that it's still in a nice condition for when my children or grandchildren inherit it? Yes. Does it make me want to announce to the world how proud I am that my marriage has lasted long enough to have imperfect aged rings and it's still going strong, two kids and all? Yes.

I suppose that's the way it is with marriages. They start out all shiny and new and they age to a more comfortable state that some might consider dull. I love where my marriage has taken me and when I think about all the adventures that I've had while wearing my rings... well it makes my heart sing. I wouldn't trade that for anything - no matter how bright, shiny and new.

If and when the day comes when one of my daughters or their daughters wants to wear my ring, I hope they can appreciate the time and memories that went into making it as perfectly worn-down as it may be.

No comments: