Pages

Monday, May 02, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

I'm sure I wasn't the only child who worshipped the strawberry ground that Strawberry Shortcake walked on. I was PISSED when my mom had the nerve to paint over my Strawberry Shortcake desk so that it would match my room, but that's a whole other story. You'd think that after all these years I'd look at Strawberry Shortcake with fondness but would be able to step back and acknowledge that she is no better than the next cartoon mega-star. But then again, you'd be wrong.

It all started a couple months ago when Ellie wanted to watch the latest Strawberry Shortcake: Sky's the Limit movie and fell in love with it. Then we had to (ok, **I** had to) buy her some Strawberry Shortcake dolls for her birthday. That's where the mistake really occurred. As soon as I opened that plastic packaging seal, I was overwhelmed with the wonderful aroma of 80's plastic strawberry scent. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH IT WOULD AFFECT ME. I spent the next hour sniffing the little doll in the corner by myself, happy as a little strawberry nymph. That's the best way I can describe it, but just imagine lots of snorting of strawberry goodness. I'm sure the stuff is addictive.

Ok, so the scent is a big one, but it's not the only reason I still like Strawberry Shortcake. I like how she takes on challenges and yet understands the value of friendship. I like that she's adventurous and doesn't let her size stop her. I like how she encourages her friends and cheers them up. Most of all, I like all of her hats. Anyone who knows Niffer knows that hats are a very good thing.

And the best part? It's not just Strawberry Shortcake who is cool enough to wear hats! We started letting Ellie watch some of the cartoon series and I discovered that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HER FRIENDS WEARS HATS!!! How cool is that?!? You can't argue with that sort of role model!

Anyone who has so many friends with hats must be a pretty cool chick. That's my personal opinion as I sit here and snort strawberry scented plastic. One of these days I should actually buy one for Ellie since this Strawberry Shortcake is mine, all mine!

No comments: