Pages

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Decorating Gramma's Walls

A couple weekends ago we visited my mom in Santa Fe. One of the surprising favorites of the weekend was simply sitting around drawing pictures. My mom had a large pad of paper and it didn't take long for Ellie and Addie to start working on decorating Gramma's plain walls.

I love seeing this type of picture. Why? The first time Ellie asked me to show her how to draw a penguin she got frustrated because she couldn't do it either. For the next week I found versions of penguins littering her cubby at school. Now she draws them like a pro and is so proud of herself. The same is true for puppy tails. The dragon and unicorn simply make me laugh, but I love to see all the things that Ellie is most proud to draw... all in one pretty picture of happiness.

Of course Ellie had to draw a picture of Gramma and her granddaughters. I asked what the squiggles were... Well, duh. They're wind of course. Why else would Gramma's hair be so crazy? Oh. I also get a kick out of her signing her name "LV" as though she's a true artist. Hehehe.

Another pretty picture for Gramma, complete with a letter and labels for who is who. You know, just in case Gramma forgets.

Gramma pointed out that Ellie forgot Daddy in the previous picture. Ellie defended herself by saying that was what she was going to draw next. Hehehe.

This weekend even Addie decided to pick up a crayon and be proud of her creations. She would ask "Whas sa want me draw?" I would suggest things like flowers or suns and she would always respond with "How 'bout polka dots?" I suppose I can't argue with that. She was pretty proud of her ability to do those and do them well. Ellie showed her how to draw circles and eventually those turned into fruits.

But Addie's polka dots prevailed. She kept drawing them and every time she was finished, she would decide where to hang her masterpiece.

Addie chose to hang her pictures in different places, but Ellie liked hanging hers all on one wall.

And of course, I saved the best for last... a special request from Mommy. Well worth the money.

No comments: