Pages

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Happy Birthday, Addie

Without fail it seems as though October sneaks up on me every year. Three years ago today I was holding my baby - the one who completed my little family. Three years ago today I learned that it really is true that a parent's heart can double in size when their second child is born. Magic.

Addie, we have watched you grow so much in the last year. In some ways you've changed a lot. You've learned so much, yet in many ways you haven't changed at all. You are still one of the most easy going, carefree souls I know. I think in many ways it's because of this trait that it feels like you've been 3 for so long. You've been so easy that I think we skipped right past any terrible twos stage. Perhaps you just didn't think it was necessary to force the world to act on your every demand. You're wiser than that. You seem to know that the world won't always do as it's told, yet you also seem to understand that's ok. It doesn't have to do what you want it to do. You can still be happy on your own.

How do you do that? Seriously, girl. You're only three years old yet if Ellie doesn't listen to you, you simply move on and continue to be happy anyway. This might drive Ellie a bit bonkers but that's because she doesn't quite know yet what you have known all along. Happiness comes from within. If you want to be happy, you decide to be happy. If you need a few minutes to be sad, then that's ok too. Just come back to play when you've decide to be happy again. Like I said. You're a wise soul.

Sometimes we wonder if you're simply following Ellie and want to do everything she does. Though in many ways this might be true, I also find myself thinking that perhaps it's yet another example of how you simply don't NEED things to go your way. As a result, eveyone loves you dearly. If you go into your old classroom at school, the kids don't hesitate to all jump up to run to give you a hug. You have lots of best friends in your class, and never name just one to be your favorite. I'm told that you give everyone hugs, including the teachers or other kids' parents, whenever they leave.

When you sleep with me, I often notice that you take care of me more than you require I do to you. You don't need me to scratch your back in order to fall asleep, however you do know that it's nice. As a result, you often scratch MY back, or pull the covers up to my shoulders, or even run your fingers gently down my cheak. All the while, you think I'm sleeping. You simply do it out of love. You take care of others around you because you love them. You do not feel like it's necessary to demand the same in return. Rather, you seem to have the inherent understanding that it will come. When you unconditionally love others, then the love will be returned to you. It's not forced. It's just natural.

You're starting to get your own sense of humor, which I love. You have this way of stating a fact or asking a question, then cocking your head to the side and looking up at the ceiling in a funny way, waiting for a response. I wish I could take a photo of it, but as often as it happens, it can't be timed. It puts a smile on my face everytime, though, and Mommy and Daddy often catch ourselves doing the same thing just because it makes us smile to think about you.

Like your sister, you have a kind soul. You are a wonderful sister and always seem to want to do whatever keeps Ellie happy. If the two of you are fighting over a particular toy, it's almost always you who gives it up. It's as though your sister's happiness is more important to you than being right.

You absolutely hate to disappoint people. If you get even an inkling of someone being disappointed in you, you get very upset. You try to hold it in, but usually it ends up bursting out in a big apology. If you've accidentally hurt someone, you do not hesitate in saying you're sorry. And it's genuine. You don't just say it because you know you should. You say it because you FEEL it.

There's still a lot that I don't know about you. Whenever I ask you what your favorite color is, you respond with "Bella's favorite color is purple." Well that's good, sweetie, but Mommy doesn't really care what Bella's favorite color is. Mommy wants to know more about YOU. As such, you still remain my rainbow daughter. Simply because you seem to think all colors are equal. Makes perfect sense to me.

Three years ago you entered my life and it has been complete ever since. You do not need to be told how amazing you are. I think you just know inside. You have a sense of confidence that words can not compare with. To say that you're a joy to have in our lives is such an understatement. When I watch the way you handle difficult situations, or how you respond when you know someone is upset, there are lessons in there for me to learn. You teach me more than you know. For someone who is only 3 years old, you sure are a wise soul.

1 comment:

Jen H said...

Made me cry. Beautiful. Happy Birthday, Sweet Addie!