Pages

Monday, November 09, 2015

Most important person in the world

Who is the most important person in the world?

How would you answer that question?

Ellie answered it with a confident "Me!"

If you're like me, your initial response might be to think something along the lines of "Wow, that's the opposite of what I would want my child to say."  After all, shouldn't we be teaching our kids to be humble, and that they should put others before themselves?  Especially if you're a Christian family, I would think that such a response would be against everything you are trying to teach your children.

At least this is how the conversation I had with a colleague of mine went.

As for me, I couldn't be more proud of Ellie's answer.  In seeking to understand what she meant, I know that she did not mean to say that she is any more important than the next person.  Rather, what she meant to say is that it is important to believe in one's self, and to make your needs a priority.

I do not worry about Ellie treating others with kindness and respect.  She does that naturally.  And she knows that the best way to love others is to love herself first.

Personally I like the fact that she has such self-confidence.  As long as she puts her energy towards making her world a better place, I don't see why she can't be the most important person in it.

No comments: