Pages

Friday, April 04, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

There are a few examples of decisions that I've made in my life that I wonder what Ellie will think of if she were to learn about them when she gets older. One of those would be this recent decision to change jobs after having accepted a different offer. In the end, I know I made it very difficult for the small company because they have a big deadline September 1st, and they have been waiting for me to start work for almost a month now. They could have been looking for someone during that time, and that's a lot of time when you have so much to do with such a short deadline.

I wonder if Ellie will appreciate how it was a difficult decision for me to make and if she will think I made the right one. Or, if she'd even care. I guess that's an option too.

I just hope that this decision really is what is best for my family and that it won't come back to bite me in the future, like Ellie being diagnosed with ADD sometime.*


* Disclaimer - I'm really not that pessimistic, but I do feel bad for what I have done to this small company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you -- it's so tough to feel like you're letting someone down let alone a whole company that really wanted you. In the end, you *must* do what is in your best interests because if you don't, no one else will for you.

I've seen this happen a number of times where employees that accept a job end up rescinding because something better came along. The company is usually sad but also understands that people need to do what's right for them (or at least good companies that care about you understand that).

It's a setback for them but 1 year down the road they will have recovered and you will be in the position that is better for you.

Kudos to making a difficult decision and not trying to put their happiness over yours (it can be really hard to do that).

I imagine the example to Lorielle would be positive -- it would show her that you value yourself enough to think carefully about decisions and try to pick the best one. Kids often model after their parents and this will show her to do the same for herself.

I have seen firsthand what happens when parents put everyone else first instead of their own happiness and that is not a good lesson for the kids. You did the right thing.

Niffer said...

Thanks for the kind words. That made me feel much better.