Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Some things should be illegal

You know how the world tends to present events with great timing? And by "great" I mean "strange"?

Yesterday I got an email from my college friend. This friend, just so happened to have her first baby on the same day as Ellie was born. For the last year, we've been writing monthly emails to each other to catch up and see how things are going. This time, in my "Happy Birthday, Hailey!" email I asked my friend if she was still staying at home. As it turns out, she is still a stay at home mom (used to be a Chemical Engineer) and loves it. She can't imagine missing out on any of the things that Hailey does because she changes so quickly.

So of course, this makes me feel guilty. Sometimes I wish I could spend more time with Ellie, even if overall I think that daycare is actually the best thing for her. Anyway, yesterday I spent the day wishing I wasn't at work and instead I was playing with Ellie.

And of course, when I go to pick her up at daycare, of all the days... she chose yesterday to start walking. I mean really walking. She has been spending the last week trying, but never really succeeding at staying standing after taking a step on her own, but yesterday her teacher said "She's walking! She took 4-5 steps a few different times!"

UGH!!! Why? Why on the day that I feel so guilty about missing out on time spent with Ellie? I've decided that it should be illegal for daycare personnel to tell working mothers that their babies took their first steps. That way the mother will go thinking that the first ones happen at home and that she didn't miss out on anything. I think that sounds completely reasonable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely reasonable to me. They should know better. -k