Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Scapegoat

Everyone needs someone to blame for their problems or even their decisions, right?

My scapegoat has become my daughter.

I got a job offer today. Huh? Yes that's right. I got a job offer even though I already accepted a job. This second job seems to be a fantastic fit for me. However, even putting that aside, there are a lot of pluses to it that the job I accepted just can't beat:

Advantages to second job (compared to the job I accepted)
- Higher base salary (10% higher)
- 5% Bonus (no bonus)
- 3 weeks vacation, don't keep track of sick leave (3 weeks personal leave total)
- 5% 401k contribution (no 401k)
- 5k Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and daycare (none)
- 6-8 weeks paid maternity leave (leave w/o pay)
- FMLA leave for 12 additional weeks (too small to comply w/ FMLA)

I think it's a no brainer. The only problem is that the job that I have already accepted is also a fantastic opportunity. It's an interesting project that will really make a huge impact on childrens' lives in the future. It would be a good experience. And I LOVE the people.

This second job offer also has people who I think I would like and it would also be a good opportunity. But... I hate to tell this small company that I am going to quit the job I just accepted.

But really, can you blame me? In the end, isn't this second job (forget the fact that I think it's a better fit in general) the best thing for my family because of everything they are able to offer? Am I not obligated to do what's best for my family? Or is that just my excuse to justify me being greedy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made the right decision. It is hard to do things like this, but stuff happens. And since the first company has such awful benefits, they must be used to it by now. Think of yourself as an agent of corporate Darwinian selection.

Niffer said...

Yeah I think I made the right decision, but in the other company's defense, they were small so they did everything they could do. It would have been an exciting position, but I just don't feel like it was for the best.

Niffer said...

Too bad I couldn't convince APL to move to Boulder!!!!