Pages

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Addie's Big Girl Room

I have to confess that I have been obsessed about this room for much much longer than I should have been. I admit that I was stressed about it because I had used up all my cute ideas on Ellie's big girl room (updated photos here), so I needed more time to figure out a game plan for Addie. More time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think I started making decisions in the first few months of Addie's life. If not that soon, then certainly by the time I decided that she did not have a favorite color like Ellie did (at a ripe age of 9 months). When a baby doesn't have a favorite color, the only logical (or insane) conclusion to come to is "do a rainbow room for her big girl room... when she turns 2.... in 1.5 years from now."

And so my obsession began. I was determind to do a BOLD rainbow room, but take a moment to do a Google search for such a thing. NO ONE DOES BOLD RAINBOW ROOMS. All bedding and decor for rainbows are pastel colors and that was not what I wanted, so I started piecing together my own ideas. The entire time I was fearing that there was a reason people didn't make bold rainbow room decor and that I would discover that reason once I put the room together and "GAH! Now THAT'S too bold!"

But the end justifies the means, right? I love the way her room turned out. SUPER SUPER happy Niffer here. We bought a fun bed from IKEA (when she's older, it can flip over so that she has a little play area underneath thta we will enclose). I think it's a perfectly fun bed for a young child.

The most important thing in the room is the beautiful quilt that Gramma made for Addie. Since I couldn't find bold bedding, we made one for ourselves. It wasn't easy for us since neither of us are used to going bold, but I do love the result. Because of the stunning quilt, Addie's room has a subtle rain-theme to it.

I fell in love with the rain concept. I thought it suited Addie perfectly, especially since her middle name is Rayne. And of course, you didn't expect me to decorate her room without the help of Etsy, did you? These wonderful prints were a custom order from the adorable Loxly Hollow, who took my ideas and brought them to life more perfectly than I had imagined.

The other corner of the room. Have I mentioned yet that I love the way it turned out?

I was most excited about the rainbow boxes with coordinating items inside. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Love.

And of course, no big girl room is complete without handprint art to remind Mommy of how little she still is, complete with a sister rainbow and a mommy fish.

We still need to put a cloud valence across the top of the curtains (not to mention disassemble the crib) and frame one more rainbow print, but other than that the room is complete.

So... what do you think?

2 comments:

Kim said...

Cute and very colorful. I'm sure Addie will love it for many years.

Salina said...

Love the colors. I think you did a wonderful job taking your inspiration and making it a beautiful room! It helps inspire me to finish Charlotte's room!