Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Addie's Smile

Addie:  (crying) I'm too tired to wake up.
Mommy:  Oh I understand how that can be sometimes.  I feel like that sometimes too.
Addie:  I'm too tired to wake up.
Mommy:  Do you need me to help get your stuff?
Addie:  Yes.
Mommy:  Ok, I know your shirt is in this draw and your pants are here.  And your socks are here.  Where are your shoes?  Oh right, they're in the closet.  I think I know where everything except one thing is.  I don't know where your smile is?  Where did you leave it?
Addie:  (a bit confused) Uh.... Maybe in my closet?  ....  No....  Maybe behind my door?  ....  No....
Mommy:  Maybe it's under your pillow?
Addie:  (checking) No...  Oh!  I know!  It's in my pocket!
Mommy:  Well hurry!  Get it out and put it on your face quick before you lose it!
Addie:  (putting her smile on her face, with a great big smile)  I did it!  I got my smile back!

Works like a charm.

I'd like to file this away into my "golden parenting nuggets" bucket. It just seems to click with her. Another day she was upset and I asked her where she left her smile. She told me it was in her pocket, then fished around her pocket with her fingers to pull it out. She was still crying and I said "Don't put your smile on until you're ready." She waited a moment and then assured me "I'm ready now!" before putting her smile back on.

Magic.

No comments: