Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I am beautiful

Inspired by this article, I am going to try to make it a point to tell my daughters that **I** am beautiful.

I agree with most of what the article says, though I've never thought about it before. It's easy for me to tell my daughters that they're beautiful. One look at them and I often find myself in awe. They're perfectly beautiful and I wonder if they will ever know it.

As for me, I've always had a high level of self-esteem. I'm not sure where it came from. I've always chalked it up to the way I was raised. That being said, I don't exactly TELL people this, and there have been times when I look at myself in the mirror and see someone far from the person I picture in my head.

I wonder how many times my girls have caught those moments of hesitation. I wonder how many times I've given them the impression that I doubt myself. I'd like to say this has never happened.

My girls look at me and see someone they strive to be like when they get bigger. That means I need to focus on being the person I WANT them to be when they get bigger. In every possible way.

I want them to still believe in themselves, instead of being taught to doubt themselves. The way I see it, if they think I'm the perfect example of what they strive to become, then if they sense the doubt I may have in myself, then they will grow to doubt themselves.

So I'm making a new commitment to my daughters. I'm going to have a healthy self-esteem, both internally and externally. I'm going to TELL them that I'm beautiful, because you know what... I AM beautiful and that's ok. With my flaws, it's still ok to be beautiful.

I want my girls to keep the self confidence that they show today. And in doing so, I need to show them that I am self confident myself.

2 comments:

Jen H said...

This is so good. I've had the same thoughts about parenting. It's good that I didn't have kids when I was younger, I wouldn't have had the slightest chance of success in this area. I think I'm just now getting to the point where I think I could do fairly well.

Populus Es Bardus said...

Excellent article and post. As parents, our children help us see the beauty of everything around us. It is a true gift to give them back the example of confidence in our own beauty.