Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Overbearing Mom

Sometimes I am shocked at how early particular conversations happen with my girls. They started talking about marriage at the age of 2 or 3. They started having sincere conversations about racism and religion not long afterwards. Of course these conversations have an age-appropriate level of details, but I'm often surprised at how "real" so many of the topics are.

Alas, this happened again last night when Ellie frustratingly told me "MOM! Stop telling me about all the things you want for me! I've made up my mind and I don't want to change it!"

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that one until the teenage years.

And yes, it was about career choices.

Last night she informed me that she decided she wants to be a stay-at-home-mom when she grows up. Without intending to, I apparently insulted her dream and couldn't seem to fix it no matter what I said.

ELLIE: I've decided I want to be a stay-at-home-mom when I grow up!
MOMMY: Oh, really? That's a really tough job but I'm sure you'll be good at it.
ELLIE: No it's not. It's not going to be tough. Why would you say that?
MOMMY: Well, it's not easy.
ELLIE: I'll just do what the kids want to do and play all the time. Why would that be hard?
MOMMY: That certainly sounds like fun.
ELLIE: Then why would you say it is going to be hard? Why would you say that Mommy?
MOMMY: Um... well one of the things I really like about working is that it gives us extra money to do the things we love to do like vacations or date weekends.
ELLIE: So? What does that have to do with anything?
MOMMY: I was just thinking that if you stayed at home, you might have less money for things like that. It might be hard to do all the things you want to do.
ELLIE: Mommy, if I need more money I'll just sell my kids' toys. I can sell the really big ones for $10, the medium ones for $5 and the little ones for $1. I won't worry about money because I always have options.
MOMMY: Well I'm glad to hear you've thought this through. I'm excited to see what you decide you want to study and what kind of job you'll have before you.... (Ellie interrupted before I could say "decide who you want to marry and start a family with.")
ELLIE: MOMMY!!! I ALREADY TOLD YOU WHAT I WANT TO BE!!!
MOMMY: I'm sorry. I just want you to be... (Ellie interrupted before I could say "happy")
ELLIE: MOMMY!!! STOP TELLING ME ABOUT ALL THE THIGNS YOU WANT FOR ME!!! I'VE MADE UP MY MIND AND I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT!!!

Ouch. Did that really just happen? Did I really just have a "don't pick my career for me, Mom" conversation? In case you need a reminder, this girl is only 7 years old. This wasn't supposed to be an issue until much later. Haha.

No comments: