Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Addie's hunt for stained glass windows.

For Addie's date this month, we decided to finally retrace the path Ellie and I took years ago to hunt down stained glass windows. That trip with Ellie years ago will likely remain on my list of best days ever had, and I knew that Addie would enjoy it just as much.

Armed with my new camera, we were off on our hunting trip. Bussi bear joined for the fun, and everything was going according to plan.

The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception was just as pretty as I remember it, and Addie was quick to pick her favorite window.

And Mommy was quick to take a photo of the two of us.

Sadly, though, that's just about the end of how my adventure with Addie was similar to the one I shared with Ellie. I didn't realize how lucky Ellie and I were that day, when just about every knock on a church door was answered by a kind person welcoming us inside. All the other churches were this time, and no one answered Addie's knocks.

Addie might not have seen all the magic that Ellie saw, but I have to say... it didn't stop Addie from creating her own magic. She has always been that way - creating her own joys in life. You saw the photos I posted yesterday. There is no denying that this girl creates the magic she is looking for. This day was no different. When she finally decided that she was tired of having the real doors be locked, she started pointing out the magic doors that could let us inside. Here she is standing next to such a door. Instead of commenting on how silly she was, I asked her in a very serious tone of voice "How is it that you are magical enough to see these doors when no one else can?" She just beamed with pride and told me that when she looks in the doors, she can see the pretty stained glass windows.

Heartbreaking in a way, but heart melting in another, don't you think?

So, no... Addie and I were not quite as successful at finding stained glass windows, though the Brown Palace did not let us down either, but Addie reminded me of something that I had temporarily forgotten... Life is too short to get upset when things don't work out according to plan. Life gives you a magic wand. Sometimes you have to shake it a bit to get it to work.


No comments: