Pages

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Ellie's Search for Colored Windows

If there ever was a perfect mother/daughter day, it was my special day with Ellie last week. When asked what she wants to do with our special day together, Ellie responded with "I want to see all the colored windows in the world!" Boy, so do I. So do I. How amazing would that be? Due to the logistics of having limited time, though, we started with our own mini adventure searching for stained glass windows in Denver.

Since originally I wasn't sure how exciting going to a church would be, I added some spice by telling Ellie we were going to take the train AND the bus! I didn't anticipate the amount of walking we would do, but it was an adventure! Lots of fun! Together Ellie, Morgan (her new unicorn friend) and I went hunting for colored windows! I gotta say, we're quite good at sneaking up on them!

First on our list (and honestly, the last on the list since I originally thought we'd do just one church), was The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. That's quite a name, but it was quite a church. The windows were very pretty. Ellie quietly walked around the parameter of the entire church, looking at each one. I got the impression that she didn't like them as much as the windows of the other cathedral that she remembered so well. Perhaps it was because the photos were of people (depicting Jesus' life, I'm sure). The windows in the National Cathedral, on the other hand, were just brightly colored random designs, every window different. However, she still loved to look at each one and especially liked the windows with angels and flowers in them.

After looking at all the windows, Ellie wanted to explore the rest of the church. She was quite disappointed that most of the doors were locked, but she did find baby Jesus and wanted her photo taken.

When it seemed that the entire place had been explored to the extent that it was possible, Ellie asked for more. Before answering that demand, I insisted on taking a photo of the two of us. She humored me as she figured it was payment in order to see more colored windows. I was just delaying my response because I honestly had not planned on MORE.

As confidently as I could, I told Ellie we should go search for more windows. Not knowing if there were any other churches around, we took a step outside and looked for church towers. Luckily St Paul's Lutheran Church was a block or two away. When we approached it, the bells rang and rang. Ellie and I decided that they were happy bells, but sadly the church was closed. Ellie asked "Can we knock on the door please?" at which point I learned that churches have doorbells. When a lady came to answer the door, Ellie asked very politely "Can I see your colored windows please?" I think she took the lady by surprise, but she led us up to the church.

The organ player was practicing her music, which really excited Ellie. Surprisingly, she wanted to sit and listen to the music for a very long time, so the lady allowed us to stay (and let ourselves out) as long as we wanted. Ellie once again impressed me with how perfectly happy she was to sit quietly and look at the windows and listen to the music. She read the bible from beginning to end, and pretended to be a princess getting married. Get this - the girl was content to listen to the organist FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR!!! It wasn't until the organist asked Ellie if she wanted to see how the organ worked that Ellie was finally content to leave.

The church was stunning and Ellie's behavior was magical... this was my favorite of the day, but surely Ellie has seen enough? Nope.

Once again, as luck would have it, there was another church within a block. Upon ringing the doorbell at Central Presbyterian Church, we met an old man who was more than happy to show us his beautiful church. He was quite impressed with Ellie's fascination with the colored windows and commented on her maturity a couple times. He let her touch the stained glass windows, which she loved. After that, the man and I talked a little more about how rare it was for someone so young to be so enthralled with seeing pretty windows, while Ellie explored the entire auditorium, up and down the long rows of pews, looking for a place to take a photo.

She chose this location, right in front of the window she was allowed to touch. After three churches, I was certain Ellie had had enough, but once again I would be wrong. She wanted MORE!!! I talked her into getting a bite to eat as Mommy was hungry before moving on to the next church. She only agreed to eating once the church was within our sight, but she ate quickly and fully, all the while laughing and making silly jokes as we ate. After lunch we tried to go to the Trinity United Methodist Church and discovered our first (and only) church with no one present. Signs on the door indicated that had it not been two days after Christmas, we would have had better luck. Perhaps next time?

On the bright side, the disruption to our great luck allowed us to explore a different type of pretty place and into the Brown Palace we went. Upon entering the magestic lobby, I said "WOAH! Look at that ceiling!!!" to which Ellie responded with "WOAH! Look at that drinking fountain!" I should have taken a photo of the fountain as she was right. It was the fanciest drinking fountain I had ever seen.

FINALLY I was able to convince Ellie to start the journey back home. I was only able to do so, though, by inticing her with YET MORE churches (saying that there were some closer to our house too). On the way home, she politely asked "Mommy? If we have time, can we ride the train to Paris to see the colored windows there? And if we have time, can we go to the top of the Eiffel Tower too? Maybe if it's dark, we can see the lights twinkle on the Eiffel Tower?" Boy, this girl ALREADY has a special place in her heart for Paris (I can't claim it's a mystery for why). I have to admit, even I was disappointed that I had respond with "Thank you for asking so nicely, but we don't have time." "Maybe when I'm older?" I think that sounds like a plan!

First Boulder church on the list was First Congregational Church, but quite honestly I was highly disappointed. However, Ellie managed to look on the bright side and found a row of pretty windows, so it wasn't a complete flop.

And this time it was SHE who insisted on taking a photo. I was all too happy to oblige.

At this point in time, Ellie had to go potty. Actually this was a common theme for us this day, which is how I learned that hotels ALWAYS have potties, so we walked a block to The Boulderado. Understandably, Ellie was impressed with their Christmas display and loved the stained glass ceiling. But best of all were the staircases! So we spent the next hour going up and up to the top and then back down and down again to the bottom. We explored hallways and found more staircases and even another glass ceiling. At this point, Ellie said she was tired and laid down on the floor to look at the ceiling. I joined her and took a photo. A few other people saw us and thought it was a fantastic idea.

When it became apparent that our adventure together was about to end, Ellie had one more request to make...

I've saved the best for last. You'd think that by the time we ventured all the way to Denver, riding a train and a bus, walking for what must have seemed like miles to Ellie, and driving an hour back to Boulder for more walking, Ellie would have been tired of seeing stained glass windows. But no. There was one more place that she really wanted to go to. It was even her idea. The Evangelical Covenant Church is close to our home that we pass occasionally. It's nothing fancy, but it does have a couple windows lit up at night. Ellie points it out to me every time we pass by, so of course she wanted to see in person. Just look at how proud she is to be standing next to the beautiful window. Of all the colored windows we saw that day, this was the only one she wanted a photo of by herself (bottom right).

I know this was a bit long-winded... but it was such a magical day that I just HAD to document it all. I loved that of all the things she could request to do on our special day, looking at colored windows was top of the list. I loved the fact that she didn't have to be told to be quiet and respectful of such special places. I loved the fact that she was polite to everyone she spoke to and that she never got to a point where she said "I'm done." Perfect. Pure magic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a neat stained glass story! I know you know how special Ellie is, but want to let you know that I think so, too. I would have loved to be on your adventure with you!

MontysMimi said...

Oh Jennifer this was the best story ever! What a journey you both had together! Best memories ever are made like this. I love her already! When my son and daughter were in school I would give them a free day each semester as long as they were in a good place with schoolwork. We would go to museums, movies, picnics whatever they wanted. Best memories ever for me. Someday when I get to Boulder or Denver I am going to visit these churches. Wasn't it the best time to see the stainglass windows through the eyes of a child? May God Bless you always!

Niffer said...

I didn't see these two comments until now! What a shame. Thank you so much for your kind words!