Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Our Little Unicorn

Perhaps not quite as strong as Addie's love for being a dragon, but Ellie is our little unicorn through and through. I think it started when I was desperately looking to inspire her to let me do her hair. Stick a funny ponytail on top of her head, add some flowers and POOF! Instant unicorn.

The thought stuck, though, because for Halloween I failed at getting Ellie to consider any other costume. The best thing about being a unicorn is that you can fly. You might think I'm speaking of a pegasus, but Ellie insists that unicorns can fly too. They just use their magic from their horns to fly. I gotta give her credit... if a unicorn is magic, then of course it makes sense that she can fly if she wanted to.

For Christmas, Ellie asked Santa for a "super soft unicorn." Meet Morgan. She's been by Ellie's side nearly every moment since she came to live with us.

Ellie has even learned how to draw herds and herds of unicorns! That MUST mean they're special.

Though there is no telling when Ellie might become a unicorn, there are two times you can bet that it will happen - when she's wearing her super soft flower dress or her super soft winter dress. Here her name is Flower and she is a spring unicorn. I think Flower is the more energetic of the two unicorns as she bounces around using her magic to bring me rainbows. No really, that's what she says she's doing.

Snowflake, on the other hand is a bit more tender. She likes to give hugs and uses her magic to keep me warm during the winter time. Again, this was her idea not mine (though I'm not complaining).

Because Ellie prefers being a unicorn over any other animal (unless she's wearing her leopard PJs, then she's a cheetah) and is "neighing" so often, it makes sense that she assumed "The Last Unicorn" for Christmas was for her. It was for me, but I didn't have the heart to tell her. We actually braved watching the movie together (I recall being terrified of the bull at an age much older than Ellie) and she is in love. No surprise there.

Anyway... if only being a unicorn didn't mean our house was full of "Neigh. Neigh. When I say Neigh Neigh, it means I want to sit next to you" or "Neigh. Neigh. When I say Neigh Neigh, it means I want to read a book" or "Neigh Neigh" here or a "Neigh Neigh" there... well then living with a unicorn would be a lot of fun.

No comments: