Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Baby's First Picture

Look! Look! It's my baby!

I had my first appointment yesterday and though we weren't able to hear a heartbeat yet, we were able to see the baby through an ultrasound. What? Can't see the baby? There is basically a head and a bumm so far. I'll be honest and tell you that it was significantly easier to see on the machine, when you could see the baby actually moving around. But look at the picture. The baby's head is in the bottom left of the red square and the butt is in the top right corner. We were also able to see the heart beating! It was somewhere in the middle of the red square, but on the machine it was a very obvious quick flashing. It was pretty neat.

So... what you're seeing here is at 8 weeks and 4 days. The baby is about 2cm long (about an inch) and has a heart beat of 189 bpm. They were able to determine how far into the pregnancy I am based off of the size of the fetus (from head to tail). I'm not as far into the pregnancy as I thought. The doctor had estimated I should be 10 weeks and 2 days in, so it was off by about 2 weeks.

Right now this means two things....
1. It will be another 3 months before I get to know the sex of the baby!! (happens 18-20 weeks assuming the baby is cooperative and isn't too shy... lol)
2. My due date is April 21.

Comments we’ve received so far:
I don't see it, but I believe you.
So, what sign is that?*
You mean, that kidney-bean looking thing?
Where are the arms and legs?
Your eyes must be better than mine.

* Aries if born up through April 20, and Taurus if born April 21 and after.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Love your blog already! And I can totally see your babe in the ultrasound pic!

I've always felt bad about the fact that when you guys came to visit us in Hell and went on that trip to S that I was so cranky and didn't go. I believe I not so graciously said "You want me to drive home early (because I had to work) BY MYSELF??? Hell NO! Are you people insane!" But I know that you understand the whole tired thing now. Sucks. (((Big hug))) Making it to 8pm is a big thing. Go you!

Hang in there...I promise it gets better!