Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I have issues

I have come to the conclusion that I am way too indecisive. I wish I could say that this is the first time I've come to this conclusion, but I doubt anyone would believe me. Being indecisive leads to many annoying problems, especially when you're in a group of indecisive people. However, this time I have no one to blame except me.

The biggest problem I have with being indecisive is that I end up being way too easily influenced by other people's opinions. The latest example is nursery themes.

A year ago I started looking at different nursery themes when we started talking about starting a family. I know, I know, I tend to get ahead of myself when I'm excited about something, but it's fun! At the time I was too embarrassed to ask anyone else for opinions, and came to the decision that Sweet Vanilla was by far my favorite nursery. I loved the simplicity of the colors and the feeling of preciousness it gave me.

We recently started looking at nurseries again for our two year anniversary gift (cotton) to each other. Our opinions changed daily, but I'll try to keep this short...

My favorite girl theme was Cottage Rose. Look at how pretty it is! However, Michael likes cutesy themes, and I agreed, so my favorite girl theme quickly became Flutterbye. Bugs are cute! But after sending a few links to my sister, she came back with "the others just don't compare to Cottage Rose", and I agreed, so that brought me back to the start (one of the shorter cicles I completed in this nursery search). PURTY!

It was similar with the boy themes. My sister liked Wish Upon a Star and I couldn't have agreed with her more. That is, until my mom told me she liked Mommy & Me the best. Definitely my favorite. But then Michael said "what about Froggie Tales?". Yeah! Frogs! I love frogs!

Then Michael and I went to the mall to try to see some of these in person. No such luck. However, they did have a Winnie The Pooh set that was super soft and fuzzy. It had all sorts of materials in it, and from that moment I made the executive decision that the nursery must be super soft. There was no going back.

So, our requirements? Super fuzzy and cutesy and not too pink and not too blue but is still appropriately girlie or boyish. That shouldn't be too difficult, right? Wrong. Well, ok... Partially wrong. As it turns out, our two favorite boy themes are made from all sorts of soft materials, and so is the original Sweet Vanilla. However, it is impossible to find a girlie set that is all super-soft, cutesy and not overly gawdy.

And of course, depending on who I spoke to last, my favorites flip between them all.

Current top boys are Wish Upon a Star and Mommy & Me.

Current top neutral is Sweet Vanilla.

It's really hard to beat Sweet Vanilla. Look at how precious it is! And yes, maybe the fact that I want to decorate the nursery right now (without knowing the sex of the baby for another 8-10 weeks!) might be weighing in on my opinion. But only a little itty bitty bit.

And just for fun... a few examples of instant toss-outs, or as Michael put it: the "Oh, god, please no" category:
Oooh La La - Cutesy, yes. Fuzzy, maybe. Overly gawdy, yes.
Twinkle Toes - Cutesy, yes. Pink, yes. Pink, yes. Pink, yes.
Sports USA - Just can't bring myself to say ok.
Scary Fish - Is this for real???

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Wow! I never realized it before but I know that's why I picked what I did. My boy choice was neutral and my girl choice girly. But the reason I went for the more neutral for a boy was the fuzzy factor for sure. Fuzzy sheep! I love fuzzy sheep!

And I couldn't help myself...I got two mobiles! One hip for the crib, another one wacky dancing butterflies that hit windchimes when they fluttered for the changing table. It totally reminded me of the Butterfly theme you liked for a girl. And it really was worth it as it kept him busy while I did my duty.

What will be fun too is that some of the big stores rotate them out every 4-6 months so they'll be even more choices at some point down the road. Talk about overwhelming!