Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

Welcome Home, Baby

Other than being closer to more family, I did not think it would make a huge difference, being back in Colorado. I was pleasently surprised to find out that I was wrong.

I have been to the grocery store with Ellie a few times since returning and without fail, there seems to be more people who coo and smile at Ellie than there were in Maryland. More people pull themselves away from their shopping lists and make an effort to interact with her than I remember back East.

I suppose it could be my imagination, but I don't think it is. When I first moved out there, I remember thinking that everyone out was different than I was used to. It is not fair to say they're unfriendly because that's not it. They just don't step out of their daily lives to say hi to a stranger like people often do here.

And I gotta tell you... It makes a huge difference with a baby! I wonder if that's why she has suddenly become a social butterfly - she notices that she gets better reactions from people. Whatever the reason, I'm glad for it because it is so much fun to see her face light up when she realizes that she can make someone else smile.

On top of that... King Soopers offers free helium balloons. You can't get better than that!!!

No comments: