Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ellie visits Great Gapa

And Great Gama too, but who's keeping track?

Ok, so this is a couple weeks old, but I finally ran out of stored-up blog entries.

Ellie, Daddy and Nana went to Green Bay a couple weekends ago to visit Michael's grandparents. It was the second time that they were able to see Ellie.

Apparently, sticking to her reputation she's made with our couple trips, Ellie was quite the trooper. She is a pleasure to travel with and was pretty easy to deal with, even if she was exhausted the whole trip.

They stayed with Great Aunt Pat and Great Uncle Gus. Great Uncle Gus is an adorable old man, who is the definition of fantastic sweet grandpa, and he kept saying "Pat, we've got to get us one of these!" in response to anything that Ellie did.

Great Aunt Pat tried to teach Ellie to say "and smart too" after anyone commented on how cute she was. I think I'm going to carry that on and see if she'll start saying it herself. I think it's cute.

Their dog's name was Kirby, and though Ellie knew that, she apparently kept calling him Mer Mer. Many of our family members think we should change Merlin's name to be Mer Mer. I think it's a cute idea, but I like the name Merlin.

Great Gama played peek-a-boo with Ellie around the couch and enjoyed showing her off during lunch. Apparently Ellie was the hit of the place. I bet it's bitter-sweet for the elderly to see a young child running around.

Great Gapa is really losing it mentally and it's hard to watch. Apparently he would start to say something and words about WWII would come out of his mouth. When Michael said "I love you, Grandpa" he was pretty sure Great Gapa wanted to say that in return, only WWII stories came out instead. It brought tears to both of their eyes. But Great Gapa had to go to the hospital and while the paramedics were strapping him onto the gurney, Ellie kept patting him and saying "S'ok, Gapa. S'ok."

OH MY GOD!!! It's a good thing I wasn't there to see that. I would have just broke down.

When Ellie got back she told me all about her trip, filled with airplanes and trains and Gapas and Gamas and Gus and "Gapa oww-ie" and "Mer Mer ball". I am guessing that over all it was a good trip for everyone, considering the circumstances.

No comments: