Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Zut Alors!

I've been in a bit of a writing funk in the last week. Part of me wants to write so badly, but another of me wants to stop for a while. Weird, I know, because it's not like Ellie has stopped being amazing.

So, here is a story I should have written a week ago...

We went to French class again. We go every week, but last week was different. We were the only ones there. Usually there are a couple other older children and so the teacher's attention is split amongst the kids. But this time, we had her all to ourselves!

Oh la la! Zut alors! Sacre bleu! Ma babe parle francais!

I kid you not, here are just some of the results of last weeks class:

Teacher: Bonjour, Ellie. Comment ca va? (Hi, Ellie. How is it going?)
Ellie: Ca va! (It's going!)

Teacher: Tu es pret pour un chanson? (Are you ready for a song?)
Ellie: Oui! (gets up and starts dancing)

Teacher: Il fait foid aujourd'hui. (it is cold today)
Ellie: Il fait foid jour dui!

Teacher: Ou va le bonnet? (where does the hat go?)
Ellie: Tete! (pointing to her head)

Teacher: Coute avec moi. (count with me)
Ellie: Un... duex... trois... quatre... cinque... six... sept... huit... neuf... dix! (RIGHT ALONG WITH THE TEACHER.... NO DELAY!!!!)

Teacher: Combien de yeux a tu? (how many eyes do you have?)
Ellie: Deux!

Teacher: Combien de nez a tu? (how many noses do you have?)
Ellie: Un!

Teacher: Au revoir, Ellie!
Ellie: Revoir!

Meanwhile Mommy is just about having a heart attack! I try so hard not to brag about her being the most amazing girl ever, but come on... How many 22 month old girls do you know who can count in TWO languages! When did that insanity start? She's been counting everything since, in both English and French... all on her own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy moly, I can't believe this! She's even 10x more incredible than I thought, and I already thought she was amazing! I can't believe she understood such complex sentences in another language. I took 2 years of French in high school and no way would I even be able to understand half of this.

Ellie rocks!

Niffer said...

Well they do say that this is the time of a person's life when the brain is wired to learn languages, so I shouldn't be terribly surprised. I'm just glad that we're taking the class and that she enjoys it. She really likes "Fren Cass!"

We would like to do as much as we can to keep her interested in languages. Ideally we could raise her to be bilingual, but we differ on our opinions of how to make that happen. But yay! She likes it so far!