Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Life in our home

I am really loving this blog. Her posts are crazy-long but there is no doubt that she is someone who absolutely LOVES life and appreciates all the beauty around her. I'd like to think my world is as beautiful as she paints hers, but as much as I try to focus on how much there is in my life to enjoy, I'm just not that... what's the word... peppy.

But I digress. A few days ago, she announced a competition (you have to search for it in her post) where she asked her readers for images and descriptions of the places they adore in their homes - Where life occurs.

I LOVE the idea and I'm already enjoying the stories she has shared from those who have emailed her. I decided to participate and submitted the following two, but I would love to hear from my readers. Is there a special place in your home where you feel like your life happens? Please share! I'd love to hear!

Above is a photo of my first born sitting in front of the window eagerly anticipating the garbage truck coming by. We look forward to Tuesday mornings for this very moment. You may wonder why I chose this as one of my favorite places where life occurs in our home and the reason is this: Every day (but especially Tuesdays) my daughter teaches me how to enjoy life just a little more. I love discovering life again through her eyes - her first ladybug, her first real big gust of wind, hot air balloons in the sky. I consider myself someone who loves the simple things in life but no matter how much I may appreciate them, I'm still not seeing them for the **FIRST** time like my daughter is. The world is full of magic - even in the most
unexpected times and locations. Like garbage day. To me it's just the trash, but to my daughter it's a wonderful guy driving a magical truck who comes to take the garbage to a far-off land. Before my daughter, I don't think I gave the garbage man a second thought. Now I find myself wondering if he is aware of how much joy he brings to the neighborhood children as they rush to get ready in time to see him
come to their very own house every week. I doubt it, but he should. Lessons like these are food for my soul - and they come from my daughter's presence in my life.

Life in our home begins in the hallway. After we get our 6 month old daughter ready for the day, we lay her in the hallway that connects all the bedrooms (and bathroom). She lays there contently just watching the hustle and bustle of everyone rushing to get ready for the day. Addie watches as Daddy steps over her to wake Ellie for the day, as Mommy steps over her to go check her email in the office and
as Daddy steps over her to get his cell phone from his room. She watches as Mommy steps over her to get some clean clothes to wear, as Ellie steps over her to try to go potty and as Daddy steps over her to help Ellie brush her teeth. There's enough movement and life going on to keep the baby entertained for a lot longer than one might think considering she's just laying in the middle of the floor! I just love
to watch her soak it all in, and I love watching my older daughter kneel down to give her sister a hug before rushing in to get her socks from her bedroom.

2 comments:

Kelly L. said...

I was reading that blog and saw the picture and was like, hey, is that Mike? You're so famous!

Niffer said...

Yeah, I can't believe I made it onto her blog! She said she got hundreds of entries. I'm assuming that since she already posted mine that it's not the "winner" but I'm humbled that she thought it was good enough to include in the highlights. It makes me happy to see.