Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

My Life in Weeks

Inspired by this article, I thought it would be fun to plot my own life out in weeks. It certainly puts things into perspective. Life is too short. I don't want to work hard for as long as a traditional career & retirement suggests. That's not to say I WON'T work until I'm old and grey, but I want to get to a point where it's a CHOICE long before the traditional path suggests.

Our current plan? We're striving for an early retirement (ideally right when Addie graduates from high school), during which we want to do a nomadic retirement. We'll travel around living in various places (likely around Europe) for months at a time. Then when it comes time for a traditional retirement (likely when we have grandchildren) we can settle down and do our due diligence in spoiling our grandchildren.

Yes it's aggressive. Yes it means I'm compromising some of TODAY for TOMORROW. No I don't feel like those compromises are preventing me from enjoying TODAY to the fullest. Have you seen my blog??? We still make it a point to go to Europe every year and more importantly, we've initiated monthly date weekends with the girls. Life is good. My typical Tuesday does not have to be fancy in order for me to enjoy TODAY, but it does have to be simple in order for me to have the TOMORROW that I want. And yes, TOMORROW will come.... eventually. It always does.

Without further ado... I present to you my life in weeks (give or take). I must say that making this so personal was quite surreal. It puts into perspective how short my layoff really was, and it kind of freaks me out knowing that the expected life expectancy for males is right before our 50th wedding anniversary. And parenthood? It's not forever either. Sigh.

Hug your loved ones TODAY for life is too short to do anything else.


No comments: