Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I can do it myself, mom!

I almost wrote a post yesterday about my frustrations on breastfeeding. As it turns out, I think Ellie and I should be further along than we are. In a nutshell, the majority of our nursing sessions are ok. They're not pain-free, but they're tolerable. There are a few times when I can barely feel her and a few times when it hurts like hell. Overall, decent. But not great.

In the end, I decided not to write it because I felt like I was only complaining about the baby, instead of expressing how wonderful it really is to be a mother.

Anyway, I have good news! Or sad news. Ellie is becoming so independent already! As it turns out, I think that the problems we've been having might be from me trying to help her too much. Let me explain.

I noticed that my night time sessions went significantly better than most of my day time ones so I made it a point to try to determine what I'm doing differently at night. The only thing I could come up with is that I do not try to make sure she has her mouth as wide as possible. I basically just present my breast to her and let her do her thing. I'm too tired to put any more effort into it.

During the day, I'm so concerned about good latches that I make it a point to try to hold her mouth open as I shove my breast into her mouth. There is no "here, do your thing". It's all "open wide so I can do it for you".

My little peanut is growing up so quick. I think it might be about time for me to accept the fact that she can nurse without my help. It's just too bad that it took her mom so long to realize it. Can't I keep her small and brand new forever???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've just echoed what every mother I've ever known or heard of has said at some point. It's true that I have no personal experience in this area, but the gist is very familiar.... But, CONGRATULATIONS!! You've figured it out in the first couple months! I know some women whose children are in their 30's and they're still trying to do everything for their child.

Well, not breastfeeding, of course. =)

Jen R.

Niffer said...

Hey! Long time no hear!

I have a friend who went to a La Leche meeting recently and saw a 7 or 8 year old girl get off of her bike and go up to her mom. "Mom, I'm thirsty, can I have a drink?" The mom apparently whipped out her breast and fed the girl

But thanks for your kind words... hopefully I can keep it up and have more faith in my baby knowing how to do things herself. It's tough, though, because she's so small!