Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First official word!

Yeah, yeah... everyone has their different definitions on what counts as a first word.

There was the time when Ellie was about 3 months old, and in a very grown-up voice she clearly stated "HI!" I seem to remember one of the moms at my support group reminding me to mark the date so that I would remember when her first word was.

Then there was the series of "Mama" sounds that came out of her. The problem with that was that it was often "Mamamamama" instead of just "Mama". So I though I felt like there was an occasional sincerity, overall I wasn't convinced.

Next came a bunch of "Dada" sounds. I swore that she would say it with more enthusiasm when she was speaking about Daddy, and I've heard a couple other mommies say the same thing. But Daddy wasn't convinced. His problem was that everything was "Dada". The grass? Dada. Go outside? Dada. Milk please? Dada.

So it's been a long wait for us to finally get to a point where, without a doubt, Ellie has spoken her first word. Consistently. And what was this magical word?

OH OH!

Ok, technically it's "Ah ah" but it's totally the tone in her voice that makes a difference. She now says "Ah ah" whenever she drops something. It is so cute how she'll look over the edge of the chair at something on the floor and say "Ah ah".

Cheap thrills, I know, but I am very much so - thrilled!

P.S. I'm nearly convinced that she is trying to bark to say the word "dog", but since her bark isn't very bark-like, it's difficult to pin it down. She also might be saying "Ba ba" for the bottle, but again we're not completely sure.

No comments: