Pages

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Happy Niffer Day!

Today is my birthday and to celebrate, I am saving the world. I love Niffer Day because I can be a super hero for a day.

Once a year, I make all my charity donations and it makes me happy.

This year I saved the following:
Sick children
Gay community
Diabetics
Neurological problems victims

I think it surprises a lot of people how much Michael and I donate (I am so lucky to be able to say that he does the supports this decision). We save ~10% of our paychecks to donate to a cause that makes us happy. He has his money and I have mine. The only rule is that we give it to a cause that makes us happy.

I have to be honest, I am selfish in doing so. Sometimes the person at the charity is surprised by the amount and asks me why I picked them. I just tell them that today is my birthday and they called to me this year. I love the feeling that gives me - to give back to the world on what is supposed to be "MY" day.

I started taking a Parenting with Love and Logic class last night. It was filled with people who wanted to raise their children differently than they were raised. I was the only one in the room that said the opposite. My mom raised me with the principles of Love and Logic and I want to do the same with my children. Similarly, I definitely owe my charitable side to my mom... I wonder if Michael and I will be successful at passing it on to Ellie.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday niffer :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday, Dear Jen
Happy Birthday To You!!!

XO
Jen

Anonymous said...

wow, what a beautiful idea. I'd never thought of this but I love it. Giving away on a day so much of us receive, what better gift is there than that.

Your mom sounds like a terrific person. Did she have any rituals like cooking something special or reading a favorite book that you're recreating with Lorielle (either on purpose or subconsciously)?

Anonymous said...

OMG please tell me I did not just hit the "submit" button without saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Niffer said...

I don't really have any young memories of either of my parents so I can't think of rituals that I would be repeating now for Lorielle. I can think of a few for when she gets older. Hmm... I should ask my mom and see if what she says strikes a memory chord or something.

Niffer said...

Thanks guys!

Chris & Liz said...

Happy belated birthday, Jen! Hope you had a nice birthday. I saw some gals from the Columbia group and we were thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. It's really nice that you decide to give on your birthday too. I am a June baby too (29th)...maybe this year I will do the same.

Niffer said...

Hi Liz! I've been thinking about the Columbia moms often lately too. Maybe we can get together when we come out to VA to visit the grandparents this fall! Happy early birthday!

Chris & Liz said...

Thanks! Definitely keep us posted when you will be in the neighborhood! We can organize a playgroup/visit while you'll be here. :) Lorielle is supercute by the way. Great pics on your site!

Niffer said...

Will do.