Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Look! It's Gapa!

We had our first Christmas program where the kids at the daycare center sing songs for the parents. It made me cry long before my child was up on the stage.

But when it was Ellie's turn, she led her class up on the stage. She was wearing a pretty little dress that made the crowd say "ohh!" and made Mommy smile. Then she turned to look at all the people in the room and was like "WHOA!" When her eyes fell on me, she first smiled then she started to get upset. My thoughts: Oh please don't be *that* kid! However, I was saved when her eyes found Grandpa.

This little girl is obsessed about the Grandpas (she has 4). Don't get me wrong - she loves the Grandmas very much and gets excited when she sees them. But it's Grandpa that she talks about. If she's playing with my phone and I ask her who she wants to call, it's often "Gapa?" When I ask her what she wants to do after picking her up from daycare, she often says "Gapa?" When we go to visit them, she recognizes the neighborhood and exclaims "Gapa!" When we're at their house and he's not around, she runs through the house calling out "Gapa? Gapa?" and is upset if she can't find him. When he is there, she likes to be in his sight or at least know where he is. When we leave, she always cries "Mo Gapa."

You may be thinking that I'm talking about one particular Grandpa, but that's not the case. She loves them all. She responds in a similar fashion to them all.

But in this case, it was Grandpa Bob in the crowd. She kept tapping her teacher on the shoulder and then pointing "Gapa!" Look, Teacher, my Grandpa is in the crowd? Did you see him? Look! That's my Grandpa!

Forget the fact that Grandma and Grandma were standing right next to him, or even the fact that Mommy is next to him and *not* right by her side. She was just so proud to have her Grandpa there to watch them perform. Well, ok, so she didn't know why he was there, but she was certainly proud to show him off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That show sounds so adorable!

Jen

Niffer said...

It really was. There was this one little 3 year old girl with black hair who started giggling as soon as she saw all the grown-ups. In between songs, she would just sit there and have an uncontrollable giggle fit. Then during the song, she was by far the loudest singer. Once she started giggling mid-song and forgot where she was in the song. She started to sing at a different place in the song, but the rest of the class stopped singing the correct words to join her. It was funny. I bet her parents were thrilled.