Pages

Monday, August 09, 2010

Sidewalk Art

I thought some of these pictures would make a perfect Wordless Wednesday, but then I decided that I liked the story that goes along with it too much...

A week or so ago Ellie and I decided to draw some pictures on the driveway. She laid down and I traced out her body. She then asked me to draw pants and a shirt on her (just the lines) and she went on doing all the rest of the work.
I was actually quite impressed. She did the eyes, mouth and hair all by herself without even asking me for directions. She colored in the shoes, pants and shirt all by herself too and was proud that she mostly stayed in the lines (I guess she just needed a huge coloring space). She did ask me how to draw the fingers but she did the work.
Ta da! It's Ellie and her self-portrait. I love the look of pride on her face. She was pretty excited about her drawing that she decided it was Mommy's turn...
After I laid down and she traced around my limbs, this is was the result. Hmm... I think I need to lose some weight because I think it looks more like an elephant than a mommy.
See? Maybe the next lesson should be how to trace around items. But in the mean time, I am REALLY enjoying drawing with this little girl. FUN FUN FUN.

4 comments:

Populus Es Bardus said...

Some of the world's greatest art disappears on a rainy day. The good news is that the canvas can be reused over and over again. Chalk is awesome!

Unknown said...

I know this probably gets generic but..... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Angie said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! And, loved spending time with Grammie and Pappy the last 24 hours in Medora, ND.

Dan G. said...

There is a certain macabre quality to the idea of chalk outlines on the sidewalks around your house, like a mass crime scene in which the kids are happily playing :-)