Pages

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Mommy Ink, Take 2

Ok, so I've changed my mind, which in and of itself means I won't be making this decision anytime soon. I want to be absolutely certain.

Recently I joined a friend of mine to go get her tattoo. It turned out GORGEOUS! And totally made me want to get one too. While there, though, we were talking about options for my own tattoo. And not that I have a better idea of the whole process, I can search for better pictures.

Ideally I want the tattoo to symbolize both my daughters AND my husband. Originally, I was thinking two aspen leaves (one green for Spring Ellie and one orange for Fall Addie). I feel like the aspen leaf itself would represent me and Michael (we got married in September when the aspens change color).

BUT my beautiful friend suggested an aspen leaf with two ladybugs on it. LOVE the idea, so I started searching. Though they're not the right types of leaves, here are my two favorite images:

However, while looking for image examples, I stumbled across some photos of daisies with ladybugs and I LOVE them (especially the purple-centered one, though I don't know how tattoos work with white ink):
Some other daisy color options might be purple or yellow (though I've been cautioned to stay away from yellow in tattoos). I think maybe somewhere between the white and the purple would be perfect.

Thoughts? Please do share!

5 comments:

Populus Es Bardus said...

That's funny, I actually have a post in queue for my blog on this exact topic and went through the same searching for pictures(different subject though :) ). After trying to visualize the pictures in ink, I realized I probably wouldn't like how they turned out, so now I've decided to get one of my daughters line drawings as a tattoo, it is art that I will always enjoy seeing.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how excited I am that you're still thinking about this! I've been wondering, but didn't want to bug you.

It's been over 2 weeks - admittedly not a lifetime - but I totally love my tattoo and I'm sure you'd feel the same if you get one.

For the record, my favorite is the white flower w/ the purple center, followed by the purple flower I sent you. But I'm also partial to the aspen leaf, if only because I'm proud of it. =)

Keep me in the loop! You have 3 months before I'm gone.

-Jen

Niffer said...

Reed, you're not the first person to suggest using a drawing from one of my daughters as a tattoo. When Ellie drew flowers for me (I posted it at one point) Melissa had that idea.

I read your post about the tattoo you're getting. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

Jen - I'm so glad you still love your tattoo. I can't believe it's been two weeks! And of course, I'll keep you updated.

Niffer said...

So... Jen... I have to be honest... the thing that is scaring me about the tattoo is not the tattoo itself. It's the fact that from week to week I go back and forth on which design I like best.

I may have to give more thought into Reed's comment. He's not the first to mention it. Look at this post:
http://niffer-all-grown-up.blogspot.com/2009/12/flowers.html

Salina said...

My daisy is white and the color has held up better than some of the darker colors in other tattoos. You still get a black outline for the petals and then have them colored in with white. You'll know when you see something that jumps out at you for your tattoo.