Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Our Music

We've never really done much to filter the music that Ellie (and Addie, for that matter) listens to. The result is that Ellie likes a lot of music that we do, which is nice because we aren't forced to listen to the same children's songs over and over again.

However, as time goes on, Ellie and I have found a handful of songs that we both really like. On the way to school, I ask her what song she wants to listen to and she gives it some thought before deciding. Then, almost without fail, she asks for "lots of dem" which means I put it on repeat. Repeat drives Daddy crazy but it makes me happy to know that Ellie loves it.

Anyway, I have Happy Niffer News to share! Aunt Erin has put ALL OF OUR FAVORITE SONGS onto ONE CD!!! Oh my gosh! It is AWESOME! The CD includes Ellie's favorite songs and lots of other songs that simply remind me of my daughters.

Here's the list of songs on the CD (in order of which Erin put them):
1. "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles (aka "sun" song)
2. "If the Stars Were Mine" by Melody Gardot (aka "turkey" song)
3. "Lollipop" by the Chordettes
4. "Say Hey" by Michael Franti (aka "I love you" song)
5. "Hallelujah" from Shrek soundtrack (aka "sad Shrek" song)
6. "I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth (aka "Shrek" song)
7. "Chatouiller le Ciel Avec Toi" from French Playground (aka "French" song)
8. "Face of a Faith" by Nellie McKay
9. "Dream" by Priscilla Ahn
10. "My Girl" by The Temptations
11. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol
12. "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison
13. "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" by Bill Withers
14. "Smile" by Uncle Kracker
15. "In my daughter's eyes" by Martina McBride
16. "I've Got a Pocket Full of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield
17. "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder*
18. "How Sweet it is to be Loved by You" by James Taylor

I had so much fun introducing the new CD to Ellie (though she has yet to listen to all the songs) because the very first song was one she wanted to listen to "lots of". It just seemed like such an appropriate song because, as luck would have it, that morning there was a particularly striking sunrise that Ellie made sure I noticed. I told her that I thought she'd like the other songs too and after listening to the second song, she wanted to hear lots of it too. Then the Lollipop song came on and her eyes just got big and round and she exclaimed "We just danced to dis song with Aunt Er-yn the odder day!" And when the Say Hey song came on, she got a huge smile on her face and said "Hey! Dis is my FAVORITE song! Do you see, Addie? Dis is my FAVORITE song!"

Reactions like that continued and she was hooked! Each song brought a new smile or excited story from Ellie, but she waited patiently to see what the next wonderful song would be. It was wonderful.

I think we only listened to the first 6 or 7 songs on the CD, but it was a HUGE hit. Ellie is a happy camper because all her favorites are in the same spot for the first time ever. I don't even think she thought that was possible. And Mommy is a happy Niffer because every song on the CD makes my heart sing. Ok, ok... a couple of them make me cry too, but I love it all.

Thanks Seestor!

* This song is going to be replaced by "Loving You is Easy" by Sarah McLachlan and "I Know What I Know" by Paul Simon. It's the one song on the CD that just doesn't feel right and I quickly learned that Ellie needs at least ONE drum song. Why not pick the funny one (the singers do funny bird yelping sounds that Ellie thinks is hilarious)? I can't wait to hear Our Music Rev 2!!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVCB9hW6kg LOL stuck in my head again!

Niffer said...

YES!!!! EXACTLY!!! LOL... Isn't it perfectly annoyingly awesome? Ha! I hate it and love it at the same time. You can't help but smile at that commercial!

Dana said...

Like you, Mark and Melanie get a myriad of songs and music types to listen to. It is fun introducing new tunes. I like your selections..:)

sqpeggy said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love new mixes.

You've inspired me to try to really put something together of my little one's favorite tunes.