Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Contractions are your friend

I'm sure I'm going to have to be reminded of that when the time actually comes for labor. However, at this moment in time, it's pretty easy to appreciate the contractions.

What? Contractions? Yep. You heard me. I have finally caught up to other pregnant friends and am experiencing relatively frequent false contractions. They don't hurt, though. At the most, so far they feel like minor menstrual cramps.

As strange as this sounds, I would almost call them funny. I think it depends on how the baby is placed inside, but sometimes the contractions end up distorting my stomach into a shape you'd never really imagined on a pregnant woman before.

Ever thought you'd see a big pregnant tummy in the shape of a square? Trapezoid? How about a triangle of sorts? No, I didn't think so.

Michael thought it was interesting that he could tell better than I could if I was having a contraction. Every now and then, I'd exclaim "Damn! What is up with the baby?!" and he'd look at my parallelogram-shaped tummy and say "you're having a contraction." In my defense, he can see my tummy much better than I can! Besides, I have gotten better at recognizing the contractions, so leave me alone. :P

You may ask "how often do the contractions occur?" or "how long do they last?" because these would both be good data points to have in possibly predicting my upcoming labor. However, I do not know the answers. I'll try to start paying closer attention so that hopefully I can say more than just "often" and "not long".

No comments: