Pages

Friday, May 09, 2008

She's Mine! All Mine!

The DJs on the radio station were talking about an interesting, but depressing, topic the other day. What do you do if you find out that the baby you have raised for the last couple of years is not yours? What would you do if you found out that there was a mix-up at the hospital and that you went home with the wrong baby? Do you keep the one you've grown to love and raised as your own or do you trade back? It's a tough one and I'm not sure where my own opinion lies. Can't I have both? I suppose I would lean towards keeping the one I have raised because that child is the one I know as my own and I am the only parents she has ever known. But imagine how horrible it would be if you didn't have the same opinion as the other set of parents? Ugh. I can't imagine.

Luckily I do not have such a problem and hopefully never will. I always knew my baby from the beginning, even if the nurses stumbled on checking the bracelet IDs. How? They all look the same, right? It's the spot on her forehead that has always given Ellie away.

So, I leave you now with the proof that Ellie is indeed mine (I'll spare you the detailed pictures)...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus, she looks JUST like you and Michael....
Not a chance she's not yours.

Jen

Niffer said...

Really? I bet that's one of those things that's easier to see from the outside looking in, but I certainly do not think she looks like either of us. Every now and then I see her make an expression that reminds me of Michael, but not very often. Hmmm... Maybe I should track down some old pictures of us and compare.

Niffer said...

Really? I bet that's one of those things that's easier to see from the outside looking in, but I certainly do not think she looks like either of us. Every now and then I see her make an expression that reminds me of Michael, but not very often. Hmmm... Maybe I should track down some old pictures of us and compare.

Niffer said...

Ugh. I hate it when I accidentally press "publish" twice. I wish I could delete comments, but alas I'll just sit here and look like I'm repeating myself.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. In most pictures I see at least one of you in her, if not both.

Jen

Niffer said...

Is there something specific that you can put your finger on? Like, she has my nose and Michael's eyes, or something like that? Or is it just the overall package?

Anonymous said...

Oooh... Sure, put the pressure on me! =) I think she looks more like Michael than like you. Her smile especially looks like him. I don't see it quite so much in her serious face. It's the cheeks, mouth & chin. Her nose kind of looks like both of you. We'll just have to wait for her to get older to see who she takes after there. I'm not sure who her eyes look like. I think it's her bearing - her aura - that's like you. She's got the look of her dad, but the feel of her mom.

Jen

Niffer said...

I have a friend whose daughter looks exactly like her but when she was younger, the mom was told over and over again that the daughter looked more like daddy. She was so happy when people finally started saying that her daughter looked like her. I can understand how she feels. I think these days more people say she looks like Michael than me. It should be interesting to see how it goes back and forth as she gets older.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd say that. But I do think it's kind of cool that her bearing is like you.

Niffer said...

That is true. I guess I never thought of it like that before.

You know, Michael claims that he has never once wondered who she looks like (unless you count the times that other people brought it up). Can you believe that?

Anonymous said...

Ummm.... yeah. I don't think guys think like that on their own. Things just are what they are.

Niffer said...

Boys are weird.