Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Working Full-Time (A Venting Session)

I'm beginning to get a feeling for the main disadvantages for working full time.

A bit of a background... We really want to put Ellie-Belly into foreign language classes. We feel like it is important to try to expose her to other languages, and ideally have her end up at least bilingual.

My frustration is that all the cool things for kids (toddlers included) are during the day. Now I understand that the teachers probably have their own families at home too, but surely there are teachers out there willing to have classes in the evening. Afterall, it's really only a couple hours a week!

But I work during the day and so even though I have these desires to include Ellie in things like Spanish classes or nature classes, I can't because I am working.

UGH! Sometimes I really feel like the world caters to stay-at-home-mothers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! Unfortunately, I hear it doesn't get any better when they get to be school age. The school system assumes you can come for a big event at 11am on a Tuesday. I guess people take off work... harder to do for a regular class though. No good answers but I empathize. I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes peeled for those Saturday opportunities.

Niffer said...

It's beginning to look like if I want to include her in a class that meets regularly, then I will have to have a grandparent take her. Both grandmas would be thrilled, I'm sure, but I feel like she would get more out of the class if I was there with her (especially for a foreign language class... I should learn too in order to use it at home). I'm sure this is a topic I'll be venting about often in the future.