Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bun-Bun's Day

Every morning I get to look forward to waking Ellie up, which usually involves her squirmming around the bed, obviously still tired and sleepy. When she finally does get up, she always bursts out "BA-BA" with all might and then jambs Bun-Bun into my face. Every morning, those are her first words and she says them with such conviction that it makes me laugh every time.

Man does she love that Bunny!

Throughout the day, she always knows where Bun-Bun is. If not, she knows where she can find another. If all else fails, she assumes (correctly) that her parents have Bun-Bun in some nearby hidden place. Regardless, the result is that she is confident that Bun-Bun will be there whenever she is needed.

Sometimes Ellie doesn't really need Bun-Bun but wants to see her anyway. I love watching her sqeeze the heck out of the bunny in an attempt to hug her. I do not think that any one could show much love for anything as Ellie does her rabbit.

Yesterday I decided to see if she would have any imagination with Bun-Bun. I was curious to see if she was at the developmental stage yet. When she offered Bun-Bun to me, I took her and started talking to her. Then Bun-Bun had a secret to tell me. She whispered something into my ear and I agreed with her completely. "That Ellie really IS a nice girl! Bun-Bun, you're so smart!" I carried on like this for a few minutes, and finally looked back at Ellie to see what her reaction would be.

Instead of the smiles I was hoping for, she was just looking at me crazy like I had gone crazy. She had this look of complete bafflement on her face. I couldn't help but laugh. But she just continued to stare at me like she has never done before. I wonder if I lost or gained some respect from her in that moment. Who knows, but that look was priceless.

No comments: