Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I must be doing it wrong

I gave Ellie a time-out the other day. She hit Mommy and I said "don't hit Mommy, or we go into time-out." I stuck her in the corner and kept her hands to her side for a couple minutes. Afterwards she gave me a hug and we continued as if nothing happened.

Later, though, she hit Mommy again. I said "Don't hit Mommy. Do you want a time-out?" and she responded with a "Yeah!" and walked over to the corner. She stood facing the wall for a moment and then called for Mommy to come join her.

Hmm... what step did I miss?

3 comments:

mjh said...

Is the problem that she won't stay in the corner unless you're there with her? If so then I'd wait until everyone is happy and then teach basic german shepherd.

If she will stay on her own, then don't worry. Eventually, time-out will cease to be a fun game. Just stick with it.

Heidi said...

My take for under 2: children want attention, positive or negative. TO is a punishment, and the punishment = no attention. The child was in situation/group and committed some sort of offense. The child is then removed from the situation and put in TO (1 min/year of age) where they will miss out on all the fun and interaction. As long as the don't leave the TO spot they get no acknowledgement even if screaming bloody murder. When time is up they get a short, simple reminder of why they were there again, then life picks up like it never happened. If you stay with them it has less of an effect than if you ignore them completely but stay where they can still totally see you. They can't stand being ignored, which then begins to teach that seeking positive attention is a better choice.

Yeah, I sound really harsh, don't I? I know I used to do this with a tiny Graeme, but it's hard to remember. Seriously, even the idea know of TOs and tiny ones makes me giggle, but that's when you start. Hugs to you Momma!

Niffer said...

You both bring up a good point. I'm going to time-out with her! No wonder it's a game. Duh, Niffer!

Thanks!