Pages

Monday, November 03, 2008

Nicknames

I need your thoughts. I've recently noticed that many of the teachers at daycare are using a nickname for Ellie. They are calling her Lori. Now, I accept the fact that this is a logical nickname to come up with, but it bothers me. I guess I assumed my little one would use that nickname when she was grown and mature. So, what do I do? Do I let them have their own nickname? Or do I tell them that people use Ellie as her nickname? Is it confusing for little Ellie to be called by her full name most of the time, Ellie by grandparents and extended family, and then Lori by teachers at school? Which one will she learn to write first?

Give me your thoughts please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of rapport do you have with the daycare folks? Is it a situation where you think you could say, "How'd she do today? That's great. I hope she doesn't get confused- at school she's Lori and everywhere else it's Ellie. I guess we thought there might be other Lori's. Do you think it matters?" If she says- they don't care then say, "I guess we like Ellie." ... or something to that effect. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

It seems like you chose "Ellie" and not "Lori" -- that's what she's already used to. I would talk to her teachers even if it's awkward, explaining that she's already used to the one nickname.

Now, if they can't remember that? And they're already ensconced in their habits? If it's important to you, keep politely requesting, they'll eventually get it. It'll be easier once Ellie will be able to tell them herself.

My sis had a nickname for one of her kids and it wasn't until he was 5 that I understood that wasn't just an affectionate name used only between them. But it wasn't until he told me himself that I really "got" it.

Best of luck whatever you do. I'll be interested to hear what you decide, it sounds like it can be touchy to bring up.

Heidi said...

I think you have every right to just ask them to call her by her full given name, unless you want to open up "Ellie" to the masses. I know it's an awkard situation, but I'm sure you're not the first parent to make such a request.

Anonymous said...

One Nickname...... I would tell them. Kids need a strong identity.

Niffer said...

Thanks everyone. I ended up telling them that her full name was definitely preferred, but that if they are to use a nickname, Ellie is it. Most of the teachers do say her full name most of the time, I think. So hopefully it won't be an issue. I appreciate all the comments!