Pages

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Ellie's biggest fear

Recently my friend, Salina posted about how much she enjoys reading "Where the wild things are" to her son. I thought "Hey! We have that book - I should pull it out and read it to Ellie."

I'm not sure if she likes the book. She definitely wanted me to read it over and over again and each time resulted in a completely different reaction.

First read: Ellie is scared of the monsters. I tell her they are nice and become friends with Max.
Second read: Ellie keeps asking for the monsters and doesn't want to wait until the part of the story where they show up.
Third read: Ellie is excited about the monsters.
Forth read: Ellie decides the monsters are dinosaurs and shows me her favorite one.
Fifth read: Ellie realizes that Max is leaving home to see the dinosaurs and misses his Mommy and Daddy.
Sixth read: Ellie wonders where Mommy and Daddy are and insists on me explaining why they're not with Max.
Seventh read: Ellie is very concerned that Mommy and Daddy are nowhere to be seen and is near tears.

Yet she kept insisting on me reading more!

I told her that we needed to stop and she looked at me with great concern and asked "Where are Max Mommy and Daddy?" I tried to tell her that they were in a different room in his house. Then she cried "I want my Mommy and Daddy," after which I had to remind her of her special rock and how if she ever missed us or were feeling sad, she needed to hold the rock in her hand. That calmed her down quite a bit, as well as a good kiss or two from Bun-Bun.

So... Lesson learned... NO BOOKS WITH ANY INDICATION OF MISSING PARENTS!!! No wonder she hates Finding Nemo, Dumbo and Bambi so much!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I noticed that nearly all Disney movies have either one parent, or a parent dies. I can't think of one where that isn't the case.

sqpeggy said...

Millie was the same with Horton Hatches an Egg or cartoons that take an unexpected dark turn-- she can't take her eyes off it even though it is clearly freaking her out. It's like that "traffic accident effect"-- so horrible yet you just can't pull your eyes away. I guess it's a twisted reflex that starts early...

I love the special rock though. We should look into something like that for Millie.