Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Baby Who

I always assumed that if we had a second daughter, there would be tons of examples of pictures where the two of them look exactly like each other. That doesn't seem to be the case. But I do have my moments when I think, "Wow! Which baby are you?"




Oh, yeah. You're the wonderfully chubby one. Yummy.


You're the baby who gives me great big smiles first thing in the morning. In fact, you give me great big smiles whenever I appear. When you're not happy, you're content. It takes a lot to get you upset and is usually because you're either hungry or tired. But you give us an overly gracious warning period where you start talking up a storm just to give us a heads-up that you will have a break-down in approximately 15 minutes. That's quite a wise idea because your well-meaning parents are often preoccupied with your sister.


You're the baby who loves the car seat that your sister despised and isn't too keen on the baby carriers that she loved (We'll have to work on that since you're getting so big). You aren't too sure what to think of the swing that your sister loved, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.


You're our little thumper. You love to kick your legs up and down whenever you get excited. If you're bored and trying to put yourself to sleep, you'll kick the floor so hard that it makes the entire house thump. Who knew such a little person could do that? And yet, somehow, you still haven't discovered your feet.


You're the baby who is content to just sit and watch what is going on around her, especially if your big sister is anywhere in sight. You have very little need for toys. You love being held, without requiring the additional effort of bouncing or walking. When Mommy or Daddy hold you, you relax instantly like you just want to melt into our arms. After rocking you for just a few verses of Twinkle Twinkle, you're already to pass out. We can lay you down ofter just minutes of singing and you will fall asleep. ON. YOUR. OWN. You must feel so confident and secure. But you should come with a warning label: Do not wake me up. You give the worst evil glares whenever someone wakes you before you're ready. But you're all talk. You're the baby who understands that just because Mommy is sleeping next to you, it doesn't mean it's play time. I never knew how peaceful it could be to sleep next to a baby.

You're the baby who goes along for the ride, no matter what the plan is. You do not get tired of spending all day in the house. As long as you're with Mommy, you're entertained enough.

You're the easy, cuddly baby. You're the baby who makes me question my decision to stay at work. We just mesh well during the days and instead of getting a break, I miss you when I'm gone. However, after a long day at work, I can always count on the big smile you give me when you see me again to re-energize my energy.


You're the baby who, from the moment you were born, makes me feel like my life is complete.

No comments: