Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

I love the look people get...

... When my sweet Ellie takes them by surprise.

Last week we had another dentist appointment. Ellie was quite concerned about it and kept confirming with me that she would like the dentist:
Ellie: We going to da dentist?
Mommy: Yep.
Ellie: She's a nice dentist? I like her?
Mommy: Yep, she's very nice and you were her favorite kid.
Ellie: We going to da dentist?
Mommy: Yep.
Ellie: She's nice?
And so on and so on. Once there, she did a wonderful job again. The dentist told us that we were doing a good job keeping her teeth cleaned and that one in every 3 children her age have cavities. When she was done looking at Ellie's teeth, Ellie said "Dank you for counting my teef," and gave the dentist a big hug. There is the look.

On our way out the door, Ellie saw a boy sitting in a chair getting his teeth cleaned (with the loud tools and everything).
Ellie: What's wrong?
Mommy: Nothing, he's just getting his teeth cleaned.
Ellie: Can I watch?
Mommy: Uh... No.
Ellie: I want my teeth cleaned!
Mommy: Maybe next time.
Ellie: How about now? Please.
Mommy: I don't think they have time to clean your teeth.
Ellie: How about one?
Mommy: Ok, let's go ask the lady.
Ellie walked up to the lady and asked very nicely if she could get her teeth cleaned too. She was terribly surprised by the fact that a little girl would be asking for such a request. They don't usually try to clean a child's teeth until they're 3.5 or 4 years old because a child is typically too scared. But here Ellie was and the oral hygienist wasn't going to turn her away. She sat Ellie down and started to show her the equipment... the hose that squirts air and water, Mr. Thirsty who sucks the water up and Mr. Tickles who tickles the teeth while cleaning them. I thought for sure that Ellie would get too scared to continue, but the lady asked her if she still wanted her teeth cleaned. After a nervous nod, she went ahead.

Ellie didn't flinch once, but get this... when the lady was done cleaning her teeth, Ellie turned to her and said "Dank you for cleaning my teef" and gave her a huge hug! The look... there it was again.

It's the same look I see when a coworker isn't sure how to respond when Ellie hugs them after having just met them. It's the look I see when one of my friends gets charged by Ellie ready to give hugs. It's the look I see when she wants to be friends with the waitress. I LOVE that look. It tells me that I really do have the most amazing little daughter, even if I'm a little biased.

1 comment:

spleeness said...

I remember being so impressed with how grown-up she was about washing her hands in the bathroom. She has a sweet and happy personality and made me laugh countless times on that little walk! If you'd seen my face then, I too might have had "the look."