Pages

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Sing Sing

I've never been much for fashion (gasp!) but I do own one pair of shoes that I spent $100 on. For anyone who knows me, this may come as a big surprise. After all, wasn't it just the other day that my sister complimented me on a pair of shoes that are literally 13 years old???

Anyway, these shoes are magical shoes. I bought them for one purpose only - swing dancing. I used to dance until my legs felt like they would fall off. I would never stop to take a break because I knew that if I did then I would not be physically capable of walking myself home. I loved it. These shoes have danced many dances and they are by far the most comfortable things I own. Well worth the money.

Through the years I stopped dancing (for various reasons, none of which are worth noting) and my happy shoes just sat in my closet. For years. For over a decade (oh god). I couldn't bring myself to give them up but I couldn't wear my dancing shoes just anywhere. It wasn't until I was pregnant with Addie and complaining about how all my shoes (even the trusty comfy crocs that got me through my pregnancy with Ellie) were uncomfortable, that my husband finally convinced me to wear my magic shoes again . He pointed out that they weren't doing me any good in the closet and I might as well enjoy their comfort again.

So I did it. I started wearing my dancing shoes to work. Gasp! I even wore them to walk across the parking lot! And I was quickly reminded of how comfy they were. It was like an old friend tugging on my shirt saying, "Hey, remember me?"

But it wasn't until this previous weekend when we went to a 4th of July BBQ/party that I remembered the life I felt when I was dancing in my shoes. It was just a coincidence that I was wearing them but as soon as I heard the big band playing, memories of my swing dancing years came rushing back.

And as soon as that song came on, I had to start dancing with the nearest person, who happened to be my daughter who I was holding in my arms. Sing Sing. There is no other song that affects me like it. Sing Sing. It makes my blood pulse and my feet dance. It brings me to life. And this time, it brought the most wonderful smile to my daughter's face.

Much of the next hour was spent with the other people at our table being entertained by this one choosing to eat 4 pickles instead of any veggies or fruit and her big sister, who chose to eat her hot dog bun by itself and THEN her hot dog. My reaction to Sing Sing must have hit strong for Ellie because she eagerly told me which songs she liked and made sure to point out every couple who was dancing to the music. I think she understood that there was something about this kind of music that made it special for Mommy. She'd even throw in a chair dance here and there.

At one point, the older man sitting next to me told me that it was a real treat for him to watch us. He said that he could tell that Michael and I were in sync with our children and that it was obvious that they knew they were loved. He said that they both seemed so happy that they're sure to turn out secure and confident. Little did he know that his words were only matching the feelings I had inside my head, dancing a little jig to the beat.

After we ate our dinner, we danced some more, which always ends up with lots of twirling. I'm thinking that it's impossible for a 3 year old to dance without a good twirl.
And no twirling is worthy unless you can't stand up afterwards. At least a 3 year old knows how to do it right!

My evening was short (had to take the little one back home for bed) but it was a magical evening for me. There are times when I miss my swing dancing days, but having an opportunity to dance with my daughters brought back that energy that I felt when my shoes really were dancing shoes. And seeing the joy come over them that you can see, not only in their smiles, but in their eyes and body language, and you can hear it in their squeals... well let's just say I don't miss those days much anymore. Sing Sing still has it. I still have it. My daughters have it. A love for life and it's all good.

6 comments:

sqpeggy said...

Wow- great post! I loove music and we've been listening to mostly toddler tunes with my daughter for the last 3 years. Some of that is great stuff but I miss the range of stuff I used to listen too.

Time to bring it back into the mix and share the love of dancing around to a great tune. Thanks for the reminder!

Niffer said...

Honestly I was surprised by the twinkle that the music gave Ellie. As soon as I told her that I LOVED that music (combined with me jumping around with her in my arms), she was hooked. I think she liked knowing about something that makes her mommy so happy. It's a little difficult to explain, but if you get a chance... you should see if Millie likes some of your favorites. I bet she would.

Anonymous said...

I've daydreamed about dancing with my little ones some day. And swing has definitely been in the mix I play in my head.

I admit, I miss the swing dancing days. Not that I would sacrifice what we have now to go back. I would love it if us old swing dancers and our guys could recreate it. But I'm afraid it just wouldn't hold the magic for them that it does for us.

I have just one question for you - do you shake???

Missing the old times.

=) Jen

Niffer said...

OMG. How I wish I still had that email chain.

I think you're right. I'd love to bring it back but I fear I'd be disappointed in knowing that it doesn't hold the same magic for the guys. But in my dreams, it does. =)

It got me excited though, because the evening showed me a glimpse of the magic it could hold for my daughters. That makes my heart sing.

Angie said...

Your pics, writing, and love for life and family are so precious. You are also very talented. Michael ?taking pics is great too. Don't stop . . .

Dan G. said...

What a great narrative and photos!