Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

Nicknames

One of the reasons we picked Ellie's name is that we LOVED the name Ellie but we didn't want to have that be our daughter's full name. We really liked the idea of calling our little girl "Ellie" and yet still allowing for a more grown-up nickname of "Lori" if she ever decides she doesn't like her full name.

Similarly, we liked how Addie's name can have "Addie" for a girlish nickname and "Adel" for a more grown-up sounding name.

So it may come as a surprise to you, but we rarely call our daughters Ellie and Addie. For the most part, we use their full names mostly because that's just "who they are." Their names seem to fit them so well.

I did, however, order matching dolls made for the sisters after Addie was born. I found them at the Lovies For My Babies Etsy shop.And their names are Ellie and Addie. My daughters know who these dolls are by name, but they don't know that the names are really for them.

It has only been recently that I've discovered I sometimes do use nicknames for my daughters. Yes, every now and then I actually use the name "Ellie" but I've yet to use "Addie."

More commonly I have noticed I call Ellie my "Snuggle Bunny" or my "Ellie Bunny." I'm guessing it's because of her on-going love for Bun Bun. And similarly, I've caught myself calling Addie my "Snuggle Bear" or my "Addie Bear." Again, I'm guessing it's because of Bun Bun Bear and her love for her teddy bears.

Interesting, don't you think? I don't use "Ellie" or "Addie" much on their own but combined with bunnies and bears, I apparently can't get enough of the nicknames. Go figure.

No comments: