Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

Abs of Flab

I recently finally came to the conclusion that I needed to start working out. I had to finally admit that breastfeeding the second time around did NOT do the same magic as it did the first time around. By the time I had finished breastfeeding Ellie I weighed 10 pounds LESS than I did before getting pregnant. I stopped breastfeeding Addie about a month ago and I now weigh almost 30 pounds more than what I did when I stopped with Ellie almost 2.5 years ago. Now I'm not saying I feel like I NEED to lose weight. I don't like how tight my jeans are, but surprisingly I don't look at myself in the mirror and think "Dang! You're fat, Niffer!" (And if my husband disagrees, he's been kind enough to keep his mouth shut).

No, I finally decided that I need to work out because Ellie asked me if I could do a sit up. And apparently the answer to that question is NO I CAN NOT. Not a single one. She seemed confused. "No, Mommy... don't use your hands. Do it like dis!" Ha!

So yes I'd like to lose weight, but more importantly I'd like to be able to do a sit up. I'd like to be able to not worry so much about throwing out my back. I'd like to be able to wear my clothes without them feeling tight. I have no impossible expectations, such as ever being the size 4 or 6 I once was, but I don't think it's unreasonable to make my goal to fit into a size 8 comfortably.

So I joined the gym at work (GASP!) and I have participated in every class they offer for nearly 2 weeks now. Mostly they're core-building classes and let me tell you... My core is now rebelling! Did you know you use your core muscles for EVERYTHING? It hurts to sit. It hurts to stand up. It hurts to yawn. It hurts to breathe. I was even sick last week - being sick requires core muscles!!! Who knew?

I'm guessing my core doesn't approve of this new plan. No, we like our Abs of Flab just fine, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Thomas Family said...

I would agree with the Abs of Flab.. just say NO to the gym :)

I commend you on finding the time to go to the gym.

I have yet to figure out that one in my day. I will loan you the twins for a weekend you will surely loose atleast a pants size if not more.

Niffer said...

Ha! Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. I have no idea how people do it with more than 2 young ones! Do you plan on having more?