Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tid-Bits

I love watching preschoolers try to make sense of the game Duck Duck Goose. Some never pick a "goose" and only continues to say "duck." Some don't know they need to run. Some don't stop running. Some run through the circle instead of around, while others simply run into the corner for safety. It is fantastic.

I love when I say and sign "I love you" to Addie, she crosses her arms and gives herself a big hug.

I love how instead of waiting for her teacher to arrive in her own classroom, Ellie wants to wait in Addie's classroom with her. She likes to stay with her little sister, even if for just a few minutes every morning.

I love how even now I hear stories from their teachers about how "Addie gave her sister a big hug when we went out to play" or "Ellie went over to see why Addie was crying and gave her a hug."

I love how when either of the grandmothers first show up, Addie has to give them something. If she's already holding something, that's what she'll offer. If not, she'll grab the closest thing and hand it to Grandma.

I love how when I go to pick Addie up from school, she eyes light up, but instead of running to me for a hug like she used to (that's great too), she now takes off running in circles around the room. She laughs and laughs as though to say "Run run as fast as you can! You can't catch me!" So funny.

Grandpa told me a story about when the girls stayed with them recently. Addie pointed to her coat and said "Da!" Grandpa put on her coat. She then pointed to the door and said "Da!" Grandpa opened the door. Addie proceeded to climb down the front steps (Grandpa grabbed his coat to join) and just continued to walk down the sidewalk. And that's how Grandpa decided to go for a walk with little Addie.

I've said it before - how much I love that Addie goes to sleep so easily, but recently she has started to not be so eager to get out of bed. I'll go in to get her in the morning and she'll wiggle around on her mattress for a few minutes, teasing me but not letting me pick her up. Cute. Perhaps it's a sign that some day she'll love to sleep in too?

I love a warm day at the park. I love living in a place where the sun and the shade know what their different roles in life are.

I love watching my Ellie make friends. Teachers at school say she is very social and is liked by everyone, but nothing beats witnessing it first-hand. Meeting a new friend at the park, and making up games to play with her. It is a sight to see and makes me so proud.

I love how it seems whenever Addie doesn't know how to answer you, she hesitates and then decides to lift her shirt to show you her belly. "Addie, do you want to help me clean the kitchen?" Uhhh... let me think... Here, this oughta distract you.

I love how even though we got Merlin when Ellie was Addie's age, he is definitely Addie's dog. He belongs to Addie. No doubt about it.

I love how Addie will pretend to sneak up on you and then when she gets close, she reaches up and grabs your nose. She giggles and runs away.

I love how sometimes when Addie grabs my nose I can say "Gentle. Be gentle." And then she'll start petting my nose instead.

I wish I could have gotten this on video... Daddy said the other day when he was putting the girls to bed and reading them books in Addie's room, they were both laying on her big puppy listening to him read. But they weren't really paying attention. Instead they were taking turns grabbing each other's noses and making funny sounds. Lots of laughter occurred. I wish I had seen it.

I love that I just wrote three separate Tid-Bits about Addie's obsession with noses. Make that four, I guess.

I have observed Addie sneaking (or perhaps it's flying) up on Merlin. She lowers her head and sticks her arms straight behind her, and then walks slowly up to him. Then she starts pounding on him; Merlin got up and moved. Then she "flew" over to him again for more.

I love how much Addie loves her bouncy balls. If you asked her, there is nothing more fun than a bouncy ball. She has a point.

I love how 99% of the time, Ellie is running in circles within a couple minutes of eating candy or ice cream. Literally. CIRCLES. It's the craziest thing.

No comments: