Pages

Thursday, June 02, 2011

I'm THAT parent now

When Ellie was about 20 months old (if my memory serves me right) another child bit her. The teachers at daycare told me about it (man was that a big bruise on her arm) but they never told me which child bit her. I always wondered if that was a sign that they never told the other parents, but I'm assuming it was because they didn't want me to hold it against the biting child.

However, Ellie was talking by then and she told me it was Lucas. The teachers were right to not tell me because after knowing which child bit my precious little girl, I had a hard time "liking" him. Every time he acted up, in my head I would think something about "yeah, and he bites too," even if the acting up was a normal thing for a young boy to do.

Well apparently it's my turn now. Little Addie bit little Michael yesterday. The teachers are not sure why and they said they were really surprised, but were also surprised when Addie (on her own accord) went over and gave little Michael a hug for his owie.

So... today I'm finding myself on the other side of the story and it's just an interesting perspective. I know it's "normal" for children that age, but it's a first for me. At least I'm comforted by the fact that she gave him a hug afterwards and knew she did something bad. Yay, partial credit!

1 comment:

Hummingbitch said...

They don't ID the kids at our daycare, to either set of parents. They just say what happened. Daphne is a scratcher, and I'm always a little mortified when they tell me she's attacked someone.