Pages

Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy July 4th! (Part 1)

This weekend Daddy was helping Uncle David with his kitchen and hardwood floors. That meant I had the girls for the weekend. Saturday went horribly. In fact, let's forget Saturday. The world is a much better place had Saturday never happened. It's official. In Nifferland, Saturday July 2nd, 2011 is missing from the calendar.

But Sunday?! Oh Sunday was a glorious day in Nifferland.

The sky was blue and Ellie and I went on a much-needed Mommy-Ellie date. Addie spent the day with Nana.

I took Ellie to Heritage Square. I got a kick out of our conversation on the way there...
Ellie: Where are we going?
Mommy: It's a surprise.
Ellie: You don't have to tell me. I already know.
Mommy: Where are we going?
Ellie: Here-teach Square!
Mommy: Do you know what Heritage Square is?
Ellie: It's a surprise!

Well for those who don't know, it's a small amusement park. Ellie loved standing up to the signs on each ride to see if she was tall enough to go on it all alone. She checked for Bun Bun too, but she would inform the operator that Bun Bun wasn't big enough and so her Mommy had to go. And Ellie is Bun Bun's Mommy. The operator would no doubt look at her in confusion but reluctantly agree to Ellie's conditions.

And on the rides where Ellie was too small, she was excited to learn that she could still go if Mommy went with her. "Maybe when I'm so big next time I can go all by myself!"

After a round of rides we decided that we needed a break so we shared a wonderful cup of lemonade. It hit the spot and Ellie thought it was a load of fun drinking from a cup with two straws! It's the simple things, I tell you... and I still love to see the world through her eyes.

Mommy's favorite ride was the Ferris Wheel. Sure it was cool to go that high, but really I liked the fact that it used up 6 tickets all at once! Way to cut down on the number of rides in a quick fashion! Ellie decided to go twice. Even better.

Somewhere along the way Ellie picked up a new pet. Meet fluffy. She's a magical pet. Sometimes she's a squirrel and sometimes she's a mouse. Don't know which one she is? Well without fail, she is whichever animal is the one that Mommy did not guess. Sigh. You can't win them all. Fluffy is a wonderful pet and makes fantastic "I'm happy" whistling sounds. She also has a long tail that is great for swinging her in circles.

So not your typical 4th of July, but it was just what Mommy and Ellie needed.

Alas, you can't forget why one should be thankful for living in the USA... When asked at school why she likes the USA, Ellie answered, "I like living in the USA because people are nice to me." Well, you can't argue with that one.

No comments: