Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

How the Special Rocks Work

By now you should know about our special rocks. Ellie has kept her blue heart under her pillow for over two years now and she knows that it keeps her safe at night. Recently she gave the rock to Addie in exchange for another heart rock similar to this one:

Ellie likes the green color with pink spots, and quite honestly those are the colors I think of when I think of my Ellie.

And so now the blue one has found a nice home under Addie's pillow, and it fits her. I think Addie likes blue a lot.

Anyway, in a recent conversation regarding the state of flux of our special rocks, Ellie expressed some concern over her new rock being able to keep her as safe as her old one.

Ellie: Mommy I like my special rock because it keeps me safe at night.
Mommy: Yeah, I know. You've had it a long time.
Ellie: Does it chase my bad dreams away?
Mommy: Yep.
Ellie: No. It catches my bad dreams and puts them in jail!
Mommy: Oh, is that how it works?
Ellie: And den my special rock says to the bad dreams, "You will stay in jail, Bad Dreams, until you decide to be good again!"
Mommy: And if they decide to be good they can come out of jail, right?
Ellie: Right, but that's ok because they're good dreams again.
Mommy: I didn't know that's how they work.
Ellie: But Mommy I don't think my new rock will be able to keep all my bad dreams away.
Mommy: Oh sure it can. It's just as magical as your old special rock.
Ellie: But I think that the magic will get old and it will run out of power.
Mommy: That's ok. All we have to do is fill it up with more magic.
Ellie: Can you do that for real life?
Mommy: Oh sure! Don't worry about your new rock. It has lots and lots of magical power right now.
Ellie: To keep me safe and put my bad dreams in jail, right?
Mommy: Right.

No comments: