Pages

Monday, August 01, 2011

What's in a name?

One thing about our names being Michael and Jennifer, we knew we wanted unique names for our babies. When we chose our names, we would verify a couple things: 1. It was not on the Social Security's list of top 100 baby names (ideally not on the list of top 1000 at all) and 2. That it had a nice meaning.

We knocked quite a few fantastic names off the list of possibilities if they were too popular, and I have to say that I love how unique their names are. So, I admit that it bothers me when I hear about other children being named the same thing. I know it's silly, but I feel a small sense of ownership over the names. They're mine!

We also knocked quite a few names off the list because of their meanings. The one that comes to mind is Cameron, which means "bent nose." I think we succeeded pretty well in this arena too.

If Ellie was a boy, she would have been named Keegan Asher. Keegan means "small flame" and Asher means "happy one" so together the name would be "small flame of happiness."

Alas, she was not a boy, and so her name is Lori.elle Ashlyn. Lori.elle comes from Laurel and Elle. Laurel means "honorable with great achievements" and Elle means "girl." Ashlyn is a feminine version of Asher, so together the name means "girl with great achievements of happiness."

If Addie was a boy, she would have been named Brennan Asher. Brennan means "tears" and again Asher means "happy one" so together the name would be "tears of happiness."

As you know, that didn't end up happening so her name is Adel.ine Rayne. Adel.ine means "noble" and Rayne means "abundant blessings from above," so together the name means "abundant noble blessings."

Why do I write about this now? I guess I wasn't positive that I've ever written down the full meanings of their names. I am not sure how much it matters what their names mean, but I do like the fact that they reflect what the wishes I have for my daughters.

On a more practical note, I love that their names have options for nicknames. Obviously Ellie and Addie are fantastic little girl names, but when they get older they will have the option of using Lori and Adel. I think that as far as names go, we covered all of our bases...

... well except for the fact that there is a popular make-up brand with a spelling of L'Oreal and Madel.ine sounds so similar and is so popular... but even with these things considered I still love the names we picked.

No comments: