Pages

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Mommy cliques

I have recently been asking myself why I continue to stay on this Mommy Email list. It seems like whenever I post an email with a question, no one responds. The only time I ever got a response was due to the Pox Party debate, and it was somewhat insulting. Maybe the mothers all know each other and so they don't respond as well to new comers. Who knows, but I have been asking myself if I've even received any useful information from them yet. In the end, I'm not sure I have. Maybe product suggestions, like which cloth diapers to use (I'm thinking of transitioning). But I am getting tired of putting my questions out there and not getting anything in return. It makes me feel like I'm in high school again, just watching the popular Mommies from the corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really struck me because I have a sensitive spot about cliques: "just watching the popular Mommies from the corner."

I know you know this already but if people are not receptive and warm, they're not worth your company.

I don't know why people do not try harder to include others. I mean, shouldn't we all do unto others as we would have them do to us.

It's been my experience that it takes 4-6 months of being around people who will be cold before they start to accept that your ape dance is the same as the ape dance they do in their group. Such a slow and unrewarding process. ugh

Have you tried www.meetup.com? Maybe there's a better group of people in your area -- bloggers or something that happen to also be moms.

Niffer said...

It has gotten a little better. I am emailing a mommy who has a blog and I find her to be very refreshing.

I have joined a Meetup group but am having a hard time doing anything with them because they typically meet during the work day. I think that over all it's difficult enough to keep in touch with our existing friends who live near by. I don't think I have time for more.

LOL. Didn't that just sound horrible?! Ha!