Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our Church

We spent last weekend in Colorado Springs so of course I insisted on taking the girls to see our church. We were married in the Manitou Springs Community Congregational Church because it was a perfectly cute old church in a perfectly cute old town. I have to say that I love this church and every time I see it my heart sings.

I also have to say that I love how my girls just KNOW. Without telling them, they know that this church deserves whispers because it's so special. We were so excited to be able to go inside and the girls loved seeing where Mommy and Daddy were married. Ellie even wanted us to show her how we danced though we had to explain that we did the dancing at the party after the wedding. I showed Addie where we pulled on the rope to make the bells ring and both girls made comments on how pretty the windows were.

I was also reminded of how wonderful this church must be to attend. In one section of the church the pews were lined with teddy bears. Obviously this was where the families with small children sat, yet it wasn't located in a far off corner of shame in hopes of keeping the peace. Instead, these pews were right up front, as though these families belonged to the church as much as the rest of the attendees. I loved it. I think this one gesture speaks volumes to the type of church this place really is. It even warms my heart knowing that the same pastor was there (Rev. David Hunting). Both Michael and I have always liked the way he approached his services.

I think if there were ever a church that just "fits" us, it would be this one. It's just too bad we don't live close by.


No comments: